The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

How is the Return key supposed to work? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Well this is getting interesting! Here was I thinking I just had a learning curve to get over, and now it seems that seasoned users have the same issue. :)

I am now officially on the fence. I suspect I'll always find the default behaviour very slightly odd, but on the other hand I can definitely see the advantage of being able to create another item with one keystroke if you are entering a large number of them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadling View Post
I tend to agree with you. And personally, I don't really have a problem with the current implementation. I'm just brainstorming out loud. :-)
Understood, of course. Here's an even wackier idea: what if hitting return still got you the new blank line, but if you didn't actually type anything in the next 30 seconds, OF silently removes the blank line and acts instead like you hit enter?

Speaking of the enter key, I was puzzled why it behaved differently on my Macbook than my iMac. The iMac seemed to work just like you said, but pressing shift-return (to get the enter function) would insert a blank line before the active line instead of closing the edit. And plugging the iMac keyboard in to the Macbook got the proper behavior. Then it dawned on me that maybe I needed to press fn-return (which worked like the iMac keyboard), and that hey, down in the bottom right of my keyboard, always hidden from view by my right hand, there's an actual enter key! :-) I do see however looking at the pictures of the new Macbook on the Apple website that they've converted it to a second option key, so maybe I'll just forget that I found it so I don't have to unlearn any habits with the next one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Understood, of course. Here's an even wackier idea: what if hitting return still got you the new blank line, but if you didn't actually type anything in the next 30 seconds, OF silently removes the blank line and acts instead like you hit enter?
That would drive me insane :-P

This is partly about look-and-feel. The appearance of the new line, even for a fraction of a second, would irritate me.

I think there's some polarisation on this issue, with immovable opinions on each side - that's generally the time to put in a configuration option :)