The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > Developer > Omni Frameworks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Use of Scaling Views for images... Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Hi

Just a general question about the Scaling View classes.

I am implementing a general image canvas and currently use the framework's scaling views and scrollviews. What is the benefit of using those classes for just one non-tiled image?

The -adjustScaleTo:canvasSize: method reframes and retiles if needed but it affects the scrollview zoomScale. As a consequence and under 3.2SDK at least, my attached CAShapeLayers (they track my selection rectangles etc...) also need to be re-scaled manually. Normally, the Bezier paths in my image sublayers are automagically re-scaled by zoomScale so zooming via SDK pinch gestures works as expected with no programmatic intervention. Forcing a zoomScale to 1, as the method does by setting the transform to Identity also re-scales image sublayer content: a side effect that now requires some code to re-sync to a new "effective" scale. One simply has to add a rectangular shape layer to the image to demonstrate this.

The method does track memory usage and sets "safe" margins for min and max scales. And the framework does have built-in "snapZoom" functionality which is neat. Are there any other visual benefits like less pixelation ? I don't notice any with a 320x480 image on an iPad. The overhead of manually re-scaling sublayer content bothers me a little. Maybe I'm missing something.