The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing > iDisk/MobileMe/.Mac Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Keychain problem causes "too many open files" error Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I am also unable to use the me.com syncing feature any longer.
I also get the error: too many files open.
Rebuilding the db and rebooting the mac does not help.
I also have only one entry for the idisk in my keychain.

I am now syncing with bonjour but this can't be permanent. What do you omni guys need to look into that problem and fix it?

I ran the lsof command and got this output as a sample:
OmniFocus 654 xxx 1251u IPv4 0x1017e66c 0t0 TCP 10.0.1.199:55155->idisk.me.com:https (ESTABLISHED)
With omnifocus establishing a lot of ports beginning at TCP 10.0.1.199:53785->idisk.me.com:https (CLOSED)

and it is doing that for several minutes before the error "too many files" open occurs.

Regards,
Phil

Last edited by philbolli; 2009-01-02 at 09:20 AM..

Have you tried the smooshing script?

I was getting the same error you were until I tried this script. It is different than rebuilding the DB.

http://forums.omnigroup.com/showpost...87&postcount=1

Problem fixed:

omnifocus was trying to connect multiple times until the error too many files open occurs.
The problem was fixed in my case by:
signing off mobile me in the pref.pane and deleting the idisk key in the keychain. After that omnifocus asked me again about the username and pw of mobile me and synced without problems.

Hope this helps some of you

YES!!!! Thanks Phil i've been fighting with this issue all night till i see your solution

This solution works great--except now if I try to save the password in my keychain, it won't sync at all. If I save the password to my keychain, the sync spins for a long time and I get an error. Once I delete the item from my keychain, I'm good again. Basically, I can't save the password, and have to re-authenticate every time.

This is acceptable, but annoying... does anyone have a solution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldmeistr View Post
This solution works great--except now if I try to save the password in my keychain, it won't sync at all. If I save the password to my keychain, the sync spins for a long time and I get an error. Once I delete the item from my keychain, I'm good again. Basically, I can't save the password, and have to re-authenticate every time.

This is acceptable, but annoying... does anyone have a solution?
Send email to the support ninjas, and they'll help you get it straightened out. You aren't seeing normal behavior.
omnifocus@omnigroup.com is the address.

I have had to use this fix (signing off mobileme and deleting keychain) 4-5 times in the past 6 weeks. I end up losing data because to start the sync again I have to choose which database to use. This is not a solution. What's the real problem and how to I keep it from happening?

Bankomeister, I'm sorry for the trouble here - I think the keychain issue is a bit of a red herring in this case, though. Are you having the problem that Ken talks about in this post?

If so, you'll want to upgrade all your macs to the 1.7.3 build that we made available, and then carry out the steps in my post on the following page of that thread to get back up and running.