The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

OmniFocus on iPad Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please add me to the "I'd really like a stopgap solution that eliminates the pixel doubling" list.

Another way in which the iPhone app interacts badly with an iPad (beyond just looking ugly) is that when an iPad app uses a bluetooth keyboard, you can hide the on-screen keyboard, but when an iPhone app running "in emulation" uses a bluetooth keyboard, the on-screen keyboard stays visible. And another is that the "home button on top" screen orientation isn't working (and since that's where the cable plugs in, I often prop my iPad up that way).

The other thing to remember is, yes, the iPad offers APIs that the iPhone doesn't today, like USB file sync and keyboard support (both bluetooth and dock). But we already know that OS 4.0 is going to bring at least some of that stuff to all these devices, and it's not impossible that there will be an "iPhone HD" with 1024x768 pixels on its display at some point. The (good) reasons to have distinct apps today could easily disappear. By the end of this year, it could be easier to maintain one universal app than two apps that differ based only on their original target hardware. (I think a lot of the developers who rushed out "for iPad" versions are going to be caught in a suboptimal situation once OS 4.0 hits and the devices get full API parity, and I'd hate for OmniGroup to be caught by that. Differentiating the versions as "lite" and "pro" rather than "iPhone" and "iPad" might help prevent that.)

One thing that I love about OF on the mac is to bring my Mac Mail to zero by using the mail link shortcuts.

I'm hoping there will be something similar on the iPad.

It would be great during dead time in a meeting to work through my email an add to or create projects by linking the iPad mail app to the iPad OF.

-Tim

Glad to see the June 2010 date. That's reasonable. Late 2010 was not.

I am using the iPad as my primary "go-to" device now. I walk around at work and edit spreadsheets with it, do all of my calendaring in it, watch TV on it, read with it, surf the web with it, take notes in meetings with it, AND manage my tasks with Things on it because "late 2010" was too late.

I'm very happy to see the June 2010 timeframe. I miss Omnifocus.

Things sucks. It's beautiful, but it SUCKS. You can't even search by tag for crying out loud. Who releases something like that?

I always see people raving about Things on the net. They're smoking crack.

I think once you guys at Omni start fooling around with Omnifu on the iPad, you'll be hooked. I think the iPad will be the future for this type of application.

Quote:
Originally Posted by email68 View Post
One thing that I love about OF on the mac is to bring my Mac Mail to zero by using the mail link shortcuts.

I'm hoping there will be something similar on the iPad.

It would be great during dead time in a meeting to work through my email an add to or create projects by linking the iPad mail app to the iPad OF.
I agree that this would be a great feature, but I suspect that OF would have to really code some weird workarounds to pull it off. At this point, the iPhone/iPad Mail app is not extensible, so you wouldn't have any way of saving a link to OmniFocus from within Mail, and I'm pretty sure that thir-party apps can't open the content within the Mail app's database either -- there are no APIs for that right now, nor does it look like OS 4 is going to offer that capability.

This means that OF would essentially have to function as its own Mail client, which seems a bit beyond the scope of where Omni is headed with it right now.

If you're using a webmail service like GMail, you can sort of work around this by using the "Send to OmniFocus" bookmarklet, but your mileage may vary with different webmail services -- for instance links from GMail mobile don't open properly on the desktop, or vice-versa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedhogan View Post
I am using the iPad as my primary "go-to" device now. I walk around at work and edit spreadsheets with it, do all of my calendaring in it, watch TV on it, read with it, surf the web with it, take notes in meetings with it, AND manage my tasks with Things on it because "late 2010" was too late.

Things sucks. It's beautiful, but it SUCKS. You can't even search by tag for crying out loud. Who releases something like that?

I always see people raving about Things on the net. They're smoking crack.
I agree with you wholeheartedly, except that I couldn't bring myself to use Things on the iPad -- I'm still living with the pixel-doubled version of OmniFocus, which really isn't that bad -- it's light-years more functional than Things in terms of planning and organizing my daily routine.

I downloaded Things when the iPad version came out just out of morbid curiosity more than anything else (I could easily justify the $20 for research purposes :) ). I didn't expect much from it, so I wasn't particularly disappointed, but was underwhelmed nonetheless. The phrase "lipstick on a pig" comes to mind. :) The iPad version provides zero extra functionality from the iPhone version -- it's just a redesigned UI for the iPad.

Admittedly, the desktop version of Things isn't too bad, but the iPhone and iPad versions are extremely feature-poor by comparison. The thing that still blows my mind is that you need to sync (over Wi-Fi no less) to the desktop version on a daily basis just to get your repeating tasks to show up -- the iPhone/iPad version has no support for repeating tasks on the device -- they don't appear in the "Scheduled" section and you can't create them -- it depends entirely on the desktop sync to plunk them onto your device. This behaviour was barely tolerable on the iPhone version; on the iPad it's a complete joke.

Anyway, like everybody else here, I'm awaiting the iPad-native version of OmniFocus with bated breath, however until then the iPhone version isn't that bad... It may not be pretty, but it still lets me actually manage my tasks from the device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdh View Post
I agree that this would be a great feature, but I suspect that OF would have to really code some weird workarounds to pull it off....
Well, they are ninjas. :D

<mmmbuzz>, thanks for the reference to Swissdisk. I created an account today and synced both my MBP and Touch.

I second the above assessments about Things on the iPad. The desktop version is workable but pales in comparison with OF. The iPad implementation is awful. Maybe I'm stupid, but I was unable to create any reasonable order among the items on the iPad. Supposedly everything was there, but you have to search up and down the list looking for what to do next.

Even in the "Next" view, it would have been nice to have items in chronological order within projects.

I think is must have been done hastily. Can't critcize the ninjas for being too hasty. But, a little hasty might not be bad. Hint. Hint.

Actually, as an OF Alpha tester, I admire your commitment to excellence and will wait patiently (yeah, sure) for OF on the iPad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by babbie View Post
Even in the "Next" view, it would have been nice to have items in chronological order within projects.
Things is tied very closely to the desktop version. The idea here is that you put things in order on the desktop and they sync in that order to the iPad (and iPhone version). There is a lot of stuff in the iPad and iPhone versions that requires a desktop sync in order to work properly.

Quote:
I think is must have been done hastily. Can't critcize the ninjas for being too hasty. But, a little hasty might not be bad. Hint. Hint.
I'd buy that if not for the fact that the two-year-old iPhone version is almost identical in features and has seen virtually no updates over the past two years. I had hoped that the iPad version would be their "big" update in terms of functionality, but it's actually nothing more than a redesigned UI -- I don't think there's a single new feature there.

BTW, thanks to whoever suggested using the iPhone OF at 2X. It actually works quite nicely, even though I am hoping for more when the real thing come along.:)

You've seen the iPad version?