The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniFocus horribly slow with big db Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi!

With a recent crash fix in OmniFocus 1.1 I was finally able to sync with the iPhone. I have a quite extensive OmniFocus database I use for my daily GTD process, started in the beta days of the desktop app, but certainly nothing exceptional.

The iPhone app is not really usable though. Sometimes (after sync I think) it takes a break for minutes, "Loading...". The whole phone is blocked. This is a real show stopper and makes it impossible to use in practice. Clicking the home button takes >10 sec to go back to the iPhone home screen, so the OS is not crashed or anything.

When it's imported finally the startup time is around 4 sec. Not really good either, but at least usable somehow. But also during normal usage I see this turning progress indicator in the toolbar sometimes. Then the GUI is unresponsive very often for several seconds.

I really had high expectations for the iPhone version, but this really frustrated me. The desktop version already is not very fast at times, but this tops it. Sorry, really hope there is just a serious bug which is to be fixed. But the whole experience more feels like a scalability/architecture problem. Let's hope I am wrong.

Schimmi

Last edited by Schimmi; 2008-07-21 at 12:50 AM..

In the OF 1.1 betas, there is a new option in the File menu to create an archive of older actions (you can pick the time from when the archive gets created). It sounds like you would benefit from using the feature as it will both speed up the desktop version and reduce the synching time scale to your iPhone.

I've used this archive option to archive everything since July 08, but the app still starts to load, then crashes. Have never been able to sync. Really frustrating.

Jennifer

Same issue here, though not with a large database. I have just started using OF and created a new Groceries project, and added about 50 items to it. Synced, and then OFi shows Loading for about 7-10 minutes. Really? What in the world is going on behind the scenes that takes almost 10 minutes to load 50 items? Archiving doesn't seem to be an appropriate solution in my case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferp View Post
I've used this archive option to archive everything since July 08, but the app still starts to load, then crashes. Have never been able to sync. Really frustrating.

Jennifer
Agreed. I archived up to July 1st and it still takes 3-5 seconds to load. Too much for a "productivity" application.

BZ

Happend today. I made some (10+) actions to check of on the go, but standing in the first location it took me 5? MINUTES before OFi was usable...

wok4

Quote:
Originally Posted by djones View Post
Same issue here, though not with a large database. I have just started using OF and created a new Groceries project, and added about 50 items to it. Synced, and then OFi shows Loading for about 7-10 minutes. Really? What in the world is going on behind the scenes that takes almost 10 minutes to load 50 items? Archiving doesn't seem to be an appropriate solution in my case.
I have also pruned everything prior to July, and the "loading" takes a VERY long time (10 secs sometimes) when I click on the app. This is not great if you want to check something quickly, and since apps cannot be run in the background.

Syncing time, even on wireless, is also an issue. I presume these are being worked on, but it would be nice to hear it...

1) Syncing takes a lot longer (more than twice as long) when changes need to go both ways at the same time. To get better performance, if you make changes on your desktop, make sure they sync over to your phone before making changes there (and vice versa).

You may also want to check out this thread to make sure your database isn't unnecessarily large.

Same issue with me, but it seems worse. My database is tiny, maybe 4-5 projects with 5-6 items per project, and still am having issues with the sync. When I was first using the app, the sync was a little slow, but would finish. My phone sleeps in 5 minutes, and I would guess it goes to sleep 100% of the time before the sync finishes, even over wifi.

I am using MobileMe, so maybe that is just overwhelmed still?

same issue here. Sometimes it takes 5 min to load OF on the iPhone. Serious show stopper.