The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Automatically Generate Recurring Tasks? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Isn't it, though! The one area where it falls short for me (and I should stress that this is OmniFocus that is deficient, not Curt's script) is that there is no good way to put in relative dates. That is, you cannot specify that action B is due 3 days after action A is completed, or action D starts some number of days after action C is completed, etc. I have to resort to things like following action A with an action that says "set due date for action B" and hoping that I do it promptly.

If you think it would be useful to have built-in support in OmniFocus for relative dates, use Help->Send Feedback to get your vote to the developers.
I realize it's a little less flexible than what you're asking for, but would it be possible to make all your task due dates relative to the overall project due date? My project template has a due date, and some of the tasks within it have due dates falling a day or two earlier. When I run the script, I end up with a new project due on the date I fed the script, and due dates for the subordinate tasks that are the appropriate number of days earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurobubba View Post
I realize it's a little less flexible than what you're asking for, but would it be possible to make all your task due dates relative to the overall project due date? My project template has a due date, and some of the tasks within it have due dates falling a day or two earlier. When I run the script, I end up with a new project due on the date I fed the script, and due dates for the subordinate tasks that are the appropriate number of days earlier.
In my case, no, it wouldn't be possible, because I don't know the project's due date in advance. There's a step in the middle of the project that could happen at a pretty arbitrary time, but after it happens, other things have strictly defined relationships. An example along the lines of the original poster's use would be putting something up for sale with a Buy-It-Now option. You have no idea when someone will click the Buy button, but you need to get the parcel shipped within 3 business days once they do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
In my case, no, it wouldn't be possible, because I don't know the project's due date in advance. There's a step in the middle of the project that could happen at a pretty arbitrary time, but after it happens, other things have strictly defined relationships. An example along the lines of the original poster's use would be putting something up for sale with a Buy-It-Now option. You have no idea when someone will click the Buy button, but you need to get the parcel shipped within 3 business days once they do.
How about splitting the project into two then, with a separate template for everything that happens after someone clicks Buy? Then you could also use a modified version of the script for that part that automatically uses "current date" as the reference date for setting start and due dates, and maybe even automatically moves the new partial project into place after the current one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurobubba View Post
How about splitting the project into two then, with a separate template for everything that happens after someone clicks Buy? Then you could also use a modified version of the script for that part that automatically uses "current date" as the reference date for setting start and due dates, and maybe even automatically moves the new partial project into place after the current one.
I still have to remember to run that script, and at that point, it reduces to a complicated version of what I'm already doing. I know, excessively complicated sounds like something I'd prefer :-)

I have similar issues with repeating tasks and projects. I have a written here a proposal for an improved user interface, which would greatly simplify this (and among others relative/absolute dates). Feel free to comment (or destroy...) it.

Is the website with the scripts down? It seems I can't reach neither http://www.rose-hulman.edu/~clifton nor http://daishi.rose-hulman.edu/~clifton/software.html. Is there any other way I can get these scripts?

I was able to reach it just now without difficulty. If you continue to have trouble reaching it, send me an email at google's email service (same username) and I'll get a copy to you. I'd rather not upload a copy to the forum which would be outdated when Curt updates the script...