The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Project scheduling lite with OmniPlan? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
For a long time I've felt felt there was a gap in the market for a "project scheduling lite" application. Having failed to find one I have acquired a copy of OmniPlan and whilst it's overkill for what I have in mind presumably could be used and I wondered if people had experiences to share along these lines?

I use OmniFocus to handle my short-range detailed to-do stuff, but would like a way to sketch out the slightly bigger picture, over the coming few months, say.

Essentially it would handle a list of tasks described at a relatively broad brush level (prepare grant application, write paper) with estimated durations; have knowledge of my other commitments (ideally read across from iCal) and allow some simple Gantt-chart visualisation to show how far into the distance it's all going to take!

The assumption would be a single resource (i.e. me!) doing all tasks, so there needs to be automatic resource-levelling (can't be doing two things at once) and also friction-less updating of the schedule in light of progress (or lack of!) on tasks over time. This is one area in particular I'm finding I'm struggling with in OP which is hung up on the originally intended schedule, which in this context is not too important.

Hope that makes sense - would be very interested to hear thoughts

Thanks

Rob