The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

due dates Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Can't figure out how to have due dates appear in the task bar for new projects and actions. When I go into general preferences as Help menu suggests, no sign of column division. Any thoughts?
Thanks!

Right-click on the word "Name" above the name of your tasks. You should get a little menu with "Start Date", "Due Date" and "Estimate" in it.

You can also click on the "View" menu, and select the "Columns" menu item. This allows you to choose a list of additional columns that you can see in the current view.

Any idea how to have Due date appear permanently in every view?

Once you turn it on in any given view, it should stay on within that view, even across relaunches, etc.

If you are using perspectives at all, remember to take a new snapshot of the perspective once you have added the column(s).

While perspective snapshots seemed to mostly solve my disappearing due date column problems, I still lose my due date column whenever I switch between planning and context modes. Any suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt2 View Post
While perspective snapshots seemed to mostly solve my disappearing due date column problems, I still lose my due date column whenever I switch between planning and context modes. Any suggestions?
matt2,
I don't see this happening for me. Two thoughts:
I use the Tony Rippy method of turning on the due date column (above). But I need to do it twice - once in Planning mode and again in Context mode.
Also, every time I download an update of OF, I need to turn on the due date column again - twice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt2 View Post
You may also be running into a long-standing bug: perspectives that are set to apply their settings to both the context and planning modes don't always do that, at least not at first.

For example, if you have two perspectives, one for planning mode and one for context mode, and if both are set to "also restore settings for other mode," if you apply the first perspective, then apply the second perspective, if you then toggle modes, you'll see stale view settings.

The workaround that I've been using for a long time is to apply a perspective twice, which always seems to work. That is, you can only be sure all the settings have been applied to both modes if you hit the perspective's button (or keyboard shortcut, or menu item) twice in a row.

Strangely enough, when I apply a perspective a second time, I'll see the separator between the sidebar and the content area shift by about two pixels. I wonder if that's related.

I believe this is logged as <bug://43987> and discussed in this thread.

Last edited by davisre; 2008-01-03 at 04:17 PM.. Reason: fixed hyperlink

@davisre: thanks - that will help when switching perspectives, but the thing I'm struggling with that seems to happen freq in my workflow is, I'll have an action selected in my "next actions" context perspective, and I'll hit the "Switch" button to change to planning mode with that action still selected to review/change/adjust it.

@philmur: it doesn't seem to matter whether I add the due field via right click on the top bar, or if I use the View->Columns->Due menu like Tony... if I add the Due column in planning mode, click on my "next actions" context perspective button, select an action, then hit the switch button to see that action in planning mode, the Due column is gone.