The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Omniplan roadmap – any news? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Any news on the roadmap for Omniplan, e.g. what features are planned for version 2.0, and when we are looking at a release date.

I'd really like support for iCal events and tasks as the current method of exporting events to iCal is cumbersome at best when managing multiple projects.

I'd also like to see the ability to email attachments to Staff resources.

Dragging mail messages to Omniplan would also be good.

OmniPlan 2.0 is in active development right now. We've picked out some major features we plan to add, and some bugs and performance issues to address. But we don't have a finalized list yet, so your feedback is helpful.

We don't like to pre-announce things like release dates, because we like to work on something until it's done. If we come to an announced release date and OmniPlan is still buggy, we're stuck between two bad options: (1) Releasing software that we know isn't at the level of quality our users expect and have paid for, or (2) Frustrating our users because we've missed the deadline. We prefer to let you know up front that our software development process is a little unpredictable, rather than setting up false expectations.

When you say "support for iCal events and tasks", what exactly do you mean? Some kind of automagic sync between OmniPlan and iCal? A cleaner export experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
When you say "support for iCal events and tasks", what exactly do you mean? Some kind of automagic sync between OmniPlan and iCal? A cleaner export experience?
I need OmniPlan to allow me to create tasks and events that appear system-wide using Leopard's System-wide To-do/Events Service. I also need it to allow me to choose which calendar I use for this (and each project). Alarms for these are also needed. I don't want to have to export or think about exporting/saving. This is a priority for me right now, and stopping me from using OmniPlan.

I need to be able to send attachments to individuals and groups at the click of a button (open a new message in Mail with the attachment)

It would also be great to link Mail messages to projects.

And for those running multiple projects it would be great to easily manage all projects in on master project, and split events and tasks on different calendars if necessary.

Finally a dashboard of upcoming tasks and events would be a great addition!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
our software development process is a little unpredictable
Perhaps you guys should use a project management tool...like, say, OmniPlan.
;)

Will resources based from Directory services (AD, OD, etc...) be supported?

maltinghead, in fact some of the stuff being added to 2.0 is stuff that the OmniPlan team has discovered that they want in the process of using OmniPlan to manage the project. :-) Still, our development process is pretty organic, as we tend to have few "artificial" deadlines, and thus have the luxury of being able to refine a decent bit during the course of development. (This is both good and bad, of course, so we keep trying to improve it.)

Andrew (and Aaron):

any chance we could see an anonymized project document from one of the past releases that have been managed with OmniPlan? Presumably, you all know the app as well as anyone, and it might be enlightening to see how you use it (even if the text is meaningless). I'm particularly interested in the settings you use for "hours in a work day" :-)

The document for planning OmniPlan 2 uses 6 hours a day, to adjust for formal and informal meetings and fire alarms and ...
Even then, we still get off-schedule sometimes due to people getting sick, or getting "borrowed" to work on another app for a couple days or whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
some of the stuff being added to 2.0 is stuff that the OmniPlan team has discovered that they want in the process of using OmniPlan to manage the project.
Cool. Can't wait.