The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Will there ever be an Omniweb 6? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalpel View Post
The good news is that Omniweb is free now.
I don't think that there could be worse news for OmniWeb fans. This pretty much confirms that development, and hopes for an OW6, is dead.

No sign of this on the main site as yet? Product pages still quote licensing costs when last I checked. I for one will be sad to see OmniWeb fade away, even if I use it for one reason only (image preview tabs (and a subset thereof - command-up/down to switch between)). I wonder if the Safari 4 beta release forced Omni's hand on this one?

Yeah, I'm none too happy about it. Perhaps I should've gone with my first thought: "good news".

Last edited by Scalpel; 2009-02-25 at 02:54 AM..

Please make it open source so that others can continue its development.

Don't give up hope yet. While we've been unable to spend as much time on OmniWeb as it deserves (along with the other apps we made freeware today), it's still the favorite browser of a number of us here at Omni and there are lots of things we want to do with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniGuy View Post
Please make it open source so that others can continue its development.
It will also help the entire Cocoa development scene. Professionally written code for start.

I am for it too... If they made such a radical decision (which I support) they should also keep revolution by posting it to omniweb.sourceforge.net

Just add another voice to the list of folk who will be quite sad if my beloved OW falls away!

Yes, the only browser I use every day. Please, don't stop development. There's no other Mac-Browser, that can compete with this fine one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilgaz View Post
It will also help the entire Cocoa development scene. Professionally written code for start.

I am for it too... If they made such a radical decision (which I support) they should also keep revolution by posting it to omniweb.sourceforge.net
I might be overstating things (or even making them up... hazy recall!) here, but I think this has been brought up before and the chances are very remote because OmniWeb and other Omni apps all share (Omni) frameworks. If they open sourced OmniWeb, then they would be exposing those frameworks used in their closed source apps, which doesn't make any business sense for OmniGroup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT View Post
I might be overstating things (or even making them up... hazy recall!) here, but I think this has been brought up before and the chances are very remote because OmniWeb and other Omni apps all share (Omni) frameworks. If they open sourced OmniWeb, then they would be exposing those frameworks used in their closed source apps, which doesn't make any business sense for OmniGroup.
I agree with JKT.

Plus, who would actually do the WORK on OW if it was "open-sourced"? There were a couple of open-source Safari clones, like Shiira and Demeter, and they are going nowhere.