The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Will there ever be an Omniweb 6? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
It would be great if the best of OW could be reborn in Safari. I really need site preferences.

Thanks Omni for a great browser. RIP OW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daiyi666@yahoo.com View Post
It would be great if the best of OW could be reborn in Safari. I really need site preferences.
You can get a lot of that in SafariStand. Not everthing, and not as elegant s OW, but it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handycam View Post
I agree with JKT.

Plus, who would actually do the WORK on OW if it was "open-sourced"? There were a couple of open-source Safari clones, like Shiira and Demeter, and they are going nowhere.
They are nice attempts but they can't match the quality of code which progressed since NeXT days.

Think about the head start Mozilla had by all those Netscape employee coders. That is why I go mad when they bad mouth Netscape and even AOL.

About the frameworks. Omni won't start a revolution. It doesn't have to be GPL license. They can keep frameworks closed. I use Omni frameworks every day as I am also a Path Finder user.

Quote:
You can get a lot of that in SafariStand. Not everthing, and not as elegant s OW, but it works.
Omniweb's power (and reason to choose) is, the things in Omniweb aren't hacks. They are real code which is completely supported. No input manager etc. needed.

Apple clearly doesn't like or support on the fly patching and things will get harder on snow leopard.

Quote:
I am using SafariStand. Site preferences don't work consistently (maybe a Safari beta issue?). Not as elegant, to be sure, nor as convenient. I will miss many things about OW.

Quote:
Like others are saying, hacks are too unstable.

Just wanted to note that we open source many of our frameworks under the MIT license. We keep private application specific stuff.

Also, OmniWeb 5.9.1 sneaky peeks are available here:
http://www.omnigroup.com/application...ad/sneakypeek/

Later today there should be a fix for the amazon rating bug that has plagued people for some time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyb View Post
Just wanted to note that we open source many of our frameworks under the MIT license. We keep private application specific stuff.

Later today there should be a fix for the amazon rating bug that has plagued people for some time.
Thanks for that, Troy. OmniWeb still does it for me but I'd love to see it further developed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyb View Post

Thanks, it's nice to have OW SP's to tinker with again! OW is one superb browser.

Hello

I'll keep OW 5.9.x. It's still the best Mac browser.

PLEASE continue OW. I'll pay 30 dollars ore more for it. Or sell it to Apple as substitute for Safari >:-]

THANKS