The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Feature Requests
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Make these three changes and I'd switch to OmniWeb from Firefox! Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I could live with the graphic tabs if at least the drawer closed when there is only one left. I just can't forgive that. At least make it a pref like "always show tab bar" isin other browsers.

It might be interesting to know why the OP thinks he wants to switch to OmniWeb. All he has really said so far is what he dislikes about OW and what is needed to make it like Firefox.

I bought a MacBook Air a few months ago as I got tired of lugging round the 17" MBP and peripherals, so that has now become my "moveable desktop". I've been a dedicated OW user since I switched over to OS-X 10.0 -- so I paid the original licence price. But on the MBA, I've been using Safari to date and it is so frustrating:
I totally miss the tab-drawer and hate the traditional tab-bar ... so uninformative;
I totally miss my workspaces;
I hate the fact that I can't set it to open new pages in a new tab automatically, but have to hold down the command key ... which I'm always forgetting;
I really dislike the cluttered "Activity" window which doesn't clear when a page is fully loaded ...

So I'm thinking about whether to change my original licence to "Personal" rather than "Machine", or whether I shouldn't simply buy another licence ... it's hardly an amount that will break the bank, even in these bankingly challenged days.

Last edited by xiamenese; 2008-10-31 at 05:14 PM.. Reason: Adding thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT View Post
How are they direct if they aren't visible in your toolbar (as in your screenshot)?
They're there. Look closer. All those words under the navigation field and the Google search field -- 10,000 Catholics, 1919 Black Sox, AC/DC, etc. -- are links.

In other words, I'd like the geeks who create OmniWeb to create an option which mimics that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiamenese View Post
It might be interesting to know why the OP thinks he wants to switch to OmniWeb. All he has really said so far is what he dislikes about OW and what is needed to make it like Firefox.
Fair question.

I just like how some text fields look cleaner in OmniWeb and how it's noticeably faster rendering pages with embedded video, Flash movies, and large images.

Well, if all that would be standard I probably switch to Firefox. ;)

1. Nope, I'm clearly not attracted by them.

2. I like to have icons in the bookmarkbar and just two or three letter abbreviations. Takes less space and faster to recognize then text only.

3. Don't fully understand that point.

Actually I am liking the minimalist Google Chrome idea, no visible bookmarks and a greatly enhanced address bar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT View Post
How are they direct if they aren't visible in your toolbar (as in your screenshot)?
Toolbar?!

DOH!

Yes, I should've said "favorites bar."

* Hangs head in shame *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handycam View Post
Actually I am liking the minimalist Google Chrome idea, no visible bookmarks and a greatly enhanced address bar.
I've been doing minimalism for years ... I run OW with all the toolbars hidden except the location bar. Recently, I've gone back to having the Status Bar showing too ... but I might change that again.

Yes, but it would be nice to have the address bar behave more like chrome's: suggest bookmarks, then history, then search engine.

OW's autocomplete used to be the best, but now with improvements to FF3 and Chrome it is behind the curve.