The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Will there ever be an Omniweb 6? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by troyb View Post
Regarding the status of OmniWeb 6. I just wanted to remind readers of this thread that Ken Case (our CEO) has commented on the status of OmniWeb in a link above:

http://waffle.wootest.net/2008/11/16...#comment-10211

We are not ignoring OmniWeb in any way, we just lack the resources to have it in full time development mode right now. OmniWeb is something that every one of us here at the office would like to see updated we just don't know when.

I apologize for our silence on the subject but it's no fun telling people we don't have anything to show over and over. I'm very much looking forward to the day when we do have something for you all to see!
Thanks for the heads up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonehorst View Post
Just a sign of life would be nice... :D
I love OmniWeb and every piece of software that Omnigroup makes, but I can't justify going back to Omniweb after Glims (www.machangout.com) and Glimmer Blocker (http://glimmerblocker.org/) came out. The two duplicate some features (like the search shortcuts we love so much in OW), but for the most part they bring all of the best perks of OW to Safari.

Combine that with a working form autofill feature that works, and it's very had to use OW.

Glimmer Blocker works with ALL browsers, I think, because it's implemented systemwide via a preference pane.

Given, additionally, OG's shorthandedness with respect to developers, I just don't see how OW can survive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philonous View Post
I love OmniWeb and every piece of software that Omnigroup makes, but I can't justify going back to Omniweb after Glims (www.machangout.com) and Glimmer Blocker (http://glimmerblocker.org/) came out. The two duplicate some features (like the search shortcuts we love so much in OW), but for the most part they bring all of the best perks of OW to Safari.

Combine that with a working form autofill feature that works, and it's very had to use OW.

Glimmer Blocker works with ALL browsers, I think, because it's implemented systemwide via a preference pane.

Given, additionally, OG's shorthandedness with respect to developers, I just don't see how OW can survive.
I can't live without workspaces. Have you seen anything that implements that for Safari?

SafariStand has "Create Shelf from Current Workspace" and stores them in the "Bookmark Shelf", which is similar to OW workspace but lacks labeling, snapshots or even maintaing the relative position of the tabs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philonous View Post
This is (in part) a misunderstanding caused by Glimmerblocker's Web site saying "Safari, Safari, Safari". Glimmerblocker works transparently with all browsers which use the System Preferences network settings ... that includes OmniWeb.

(If you go into the Proxies pane of those settings you will see that Glimmerblocker silently sets up a HTTP proxy ... 127.0.0.1:8228).

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiec View Post
I can't live without workspaces. Have you seen anything that implements that for Safari?
As mshalperin mentioned, Safaristand has the bookshelf feature which roughly approximates the OW workspaces.

But Safaristand is just funky, as great as it is, and I know of no other option. I assume that such a feature will finally be implemented in Glims. You can try requesting it. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrix2008 View Post
This is (in part) a misunderstanding caused by Glimmerblocker's Web site saying "Safari, Safari, Safari". Glimmerblocker works transparently with all browsers which use the System Preferences network settings ... that includes OmniWeb.

(If you go into the Proxies pane of those settings you will see that Glimmerblocker silently sets up a HTTP proxy ... 127.0.0.1:8228).
I think I mentioned as much in my previous post. But, my other point was that with glimmerblocker AND Safari's fully functioning form autocomplete feature, OW is, unfortunately, out for me.

Same here, now that I can have effective ad blocking for all browsers with just one setup (and without using SIMBL, which always tends to mess up one or the other application through it's quirky code injection), OmniWeb has unfortunately lost yet another point of appeal. The last thing OmniWeb now has over other browsers are the site specific preferences, but for the most part I only used that for setting different zoom levels for each site which again can be had through the "no-squint" plugin for Firefox.

On Firefox however I dearly miss support for OS X Services, (alas, FF is not Cocoa, so I'm afraid we'll never get a working Services menue there) and also I'd like to have a way to be able to open text input fields as separate windows (or at least resize them).

My gripes with Safari are similar, one cannot set zoom settings on a per site basis and you don't get separator lines for the bookmarks on Safari, which I believe to be a glaring omission. I simply fail to comprehend why anyone would leave out something so useful and easy to implement.

Nevertheless I've been using the nightly WebKit builds for quite a while now and, while I hate the bookmarks being a mess with everything thrown in a big bucket feeling very disorganised without separators, I can live with it and I also like the new Web Inspector very much and the recent speed gains that really put OmniWeb to shame nowadays.

For a very short while OmniWeb was king of the hill in performance, but once Google's Chrome came out, all of a sudden everyone started squeezing the last bit of performance out of their JavaScript engines, so now we have much better implementations of those in the "bleeding edge" versions of Safari (aka WebKit) and Firefox (the 3.1 beta).

After reading the communication on this forum I cannot help but getting the impression that OmniWeb is a dying product, even some of their most furious fans (including me) are now grudginly moving on to other products and once they're gone, they're not so likely to come back.

I think it is a crying shame, because I still think OmniWeb has so much potential. I do understand the decision from OmniGroup's side, but if they really believe they cannot fully develop and thusly monetize on this product anymore then why, rather than letting a formerly brilliant product wither and die, why wouldn't they let the community nurture and improve it?

Why not open source it?

Last edited by arglborps; 2009-02-08 at 04:46 PM..

I came to these forums today to see if there was any word on OW updates...
and now I'm sad. I started using other browsers this past week because OmniWeb just isn't up to modern standards (in both features and UI), IMO. I still have some hope that an OW6 will come in the not too distant future, but from the sound of things, its not going to happen.
Good luck, I hope to return one day.

"The Omni Group said OmniWeb, OmniDazzle, OmniDiskSweeper, and OmniObjectMeter are all available with no licensing restrictions and are fully functional. The company said none of the applications are currently under active development."
Source
The good news is that Omniweb is free now.