The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Will there ever be an Omniweb 6? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I think everyone is overacting here. If you read Ken Case's comments here you'll see that Omnigroup's problem with OmniWeb isn't a shortage of customers or desire but rather a shortage of experienced engineers. If anyone who likes OmniWeb is an experienced Cocoa/Objective-C programmer who is looking for work and is willing to move to Seattle (or knows someone who fits the bill) it sounds like the problem could be solved! I think economy there has to be one or two top-notch Cocoa/Objective-C programmers looking for work, right?

I've just read through this entire thread… It's good to see that there are passionate OmniWeb users!

Owing to the age of my machine, I use 5.1.3; and I just discovered that two days ago. I like it. (Needless to say?) And I'll continue to use it, regardless: It's usefull and elegant.

I've been using Opera since 6.03 for System 8.6, and have weathered many a snap-shot and beta! It is still my default browser, for a number of reasons. But I'm not what you'd call "fanatical" about it: I have 10 browsers installed –not counting different versions…
Nor am I "fanatical" about Macs, which I've only used since the 512K days. Or OS X, which is UNIX enough to keep me happy.

But you'all have my sympathy!

I too would like to see development continue for OmniWeb, but completely understand Omni Group's quandry.
The most I can add –at the moment– to this discussion is the advice, to support the company as best you can…

Last edited by OakdaleFTL; 2009-08-11 at 09:43 PM.. Reason: spelling

Hi everyone! I just wanted to say that I recently found OmniWeb and I can say for sure that it still is the best browser I've ever used, the only competition being Chrome for its speed and simplicity. Nevertheless, for the Mac, OW is the best.

I hope it doesn't die. I would love to help since I recently left college with a BCompSci but, unfortunately, I'm new to the Mac platform and have no experience with Obj-C or Cocoa...
Anyway, keep it up! You're doing an awesome job! I would like to point a few issues I think could be better to improve overall usability of OW. The first is to make it a bit more fast, specially Javascript - which I reckon is going to happen with the new Webkit engine. The other one is a kind of address bar like Chrome has... Since OW already supports shortcuts I think it could be quite nice... Anyway, I still think you make the best browser on earth! Cheers!

Hopefully OmniWeb is 64-bit soon. Not for any technological advantages but for publicity.

And now if Xmarks could support Omniweb :)