The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Paste problem Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vramin View Post
For me, the review capability is the big seller. Things gives you no good way to do a thorough and complete review. However, I'm finding that the real power for me is in the custom perspectives and the start date, which gives me some real control over how my daily checklists behave. Omnifocus isn't so much about organizing your stuff, but managing your focus on it.
That's a pretty good way of putting it, I think. I'm in agreement that the review functionality is a big differentiator in OF's favor, and I'm mystified why they don't put the Mark Reviewed button in the default toolbar (which would bring it to the attention of the legions who don't read the documentation cover to cover). I'm also eagerly awaiting the arrival of at least some of that functionality in the iPhone/iPod touch client. Plenty of "lost moments" in the day where I could review a few projects while waiting, but then have no way to mark them as such except by putting more items in my Inbox.

I got stuck in paste soup again this morning, this time trying to copy a pile of *projects* into Omnifocus.

If you create a folder to paste the projects in, Omnifocus does its usual thing and pastes everything in the library root. Somehow it leaves the folder selected, as well as all the new projects, it doesn't want to let you drag the projects into the folder after that.

I finally found the workaround:

Just select the root library, since that's where everything is going to land anyway, and then paste. The new projects will fall in, and they will all be selected. Right click over them and choose Group in New Folder, then type in your folder name.

It appears that trying to make the folder and the stuff to it is what is broken, so adding the stuff and then adding the folder makes it work.

Hopefully now I can get my transfers finished and move on to the next thing. ;)

Personally, I just use iCal to do the dirty work. You can sync all the Things tasks to a particular iCal calendar, and then have OmniFocus sync with that same iCal calendar. It worked great for me.

It actually works both ways; but when OmniFocus syncs to iCal it adds an OmniFocus URL in the notes field of the iCal entry, so when Things imports it, it looks a bit messy.

You lose project information and associated proprietary info in this manner, but you get 100% of the tasks across cleanly. You do need to experiment with the various calendar settings and what to sync (as OF and Things differ in this regard -- you want to use "custom" for Things), but it's a lot easier for me than "save as" and going though 3 or 4 applications to convert.

That's a good idea. I wish you'd suggested it a few posts back, I'm almost done importing now. ;)