The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sync with new Dropbox API [DropBox is great, but not well-suited to OF sync.] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi,

I am wondering whether draggin' & droppin' my OF database in my Dropbox would work.:confused:
I would then have my OF data available both on my laptop and desktop computers:)

I've never tried it for fear that I lose the info contained in my OF database.

I'd be very interested in hearing of your experience.

Best,

I just got an invitation to Dropbox, which is just like iDisk. I was wondering can I sync between Omnifocus iPhone and 1.1 using that?

Only if it provides WebDAV access, and I don't see anything suggesting it does.

heads up the thread was forwarded here

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Only if it provides WebDAV access, and I don't see anything suggesting it does.
You mean if I put OmniFocus in "Disk" mode and limit syncing between my laptop and desktop (not my iPhone) - it won't work?

I do not intend to access the OF database concurrently (though from the demo video - it does seem to sync rather fast...)

My recollection of the demo video was that there wasn't anything to suggest they were shoveling a big file around. I just got my invitation earlier today, so I haven't had a chance to play with it yet.

If you are setting up OmniFocus on the desktop to sync via the Disk option in the Sync preferences, and are careful to only ever have the program running on one machine at a time, it might work. But to sync with an iPhone as the original poster asked does require WebDAV at the moment.

Chinarut, I strongly recommend against it. We haven't tested it, and in theory Disk mode syncing should work if everything else works perfectly, but if you *EVER* have changes on two different machines and DropBox merges them, you are quite likely to lose data, because DropBox is not going to update the information that lets an OmniFocus client know what changes have been incorporated on each client.

ok - sounds like I won't proceed with the "Disk mode experiment" to save myself the headache.

Just a heads up 3 of us from the OF community are chiming in:

http://forums.getdropbox.com/topic.php?id=2696

:)

Greetings!

I've been using Dropbox to sync data between my work mac and home mac. It's a great ap. Here's lifehacker's post on it: http://tinyurl.com/3s7epl Some people use Dropbox to sync their passwords: http://tinyurl.com/47ecks

I've been trying to figure out how to make Omnifocus put its files in the dropbox so that I can run the same omnifocus file at work as at home. However, I cannot figure out where Omnifocus saves its regular database (not backups). Where, oh where, does Omnifocus save its ongoing database and how do I make it move to another location? (namely, a designated folder in th drop box) ?

Thanks!
Tim in San Francisco

In short, you don't. It puts it in ~/Library/Application Support/OmniFocus/OmniFocus.ofocus and no longer allows you to specify another location. You could do the sync to disk option and specify another location (your Dropbox folder, for example), but your primary database will still be in the Library tree. I'd be a little cautious about trusting Dropbox with your data, as it doesn't understand the locking protocols used by OmniFocus to keep your data safe when multiple parties might be writing at once. I would personally just use a USB drive and the sync to disk option (or the WebDAV option if I had a suitable server available), unless some extensive testing shows that there is no possibility of data corruption.