The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Dropbox sync [Possible, not recommended. See thread.] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I haven't managed to find anything specific in the forums (sorry if I missed it!) with regard to using DropBox to manage my OF database, so that I can get the same tasks on my machine at work, my machine at home and on my iPhone (and soon... the iPad!!).

Is DropBox integration something we can do now or should we expect it in v1.8?

There is a bunch of syncing options, see Preferences->Sync. If you need a WebDAV account, look at mydisk.se or any other free WebDAV provider.

Thanks Patrix. What about www.box.net ?

I would also be very interested in this feature. Some other companies (for instance AWS with 1Password) have enabled Dropbox compatibility with their products, both iPhone and MacOSX. They face the same synchronization problems as OmniFocus when dealing with multiple parallel modifications of the DB, but somehow they managed to solve them using the Dropbox APIs, as far as I know.

It would be much easier to synchronize multiple devices having this support; WebDAV is not currently offered by many free providers, and most egregiously, not by Google. Bonjour sync is nice, but needs LAN access, so when synchronizing three devices, no access to the main one means no sync between the other two.

Is something planned for 1.8?

Regards and keep up the good work.

Didn't see any mention of WebDAV on www.box.net at first glance.

I really don't think this is an issue anyway. mydisk.se (and others) are free, you don't have to use it for anything besides the OF file :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlouzan View Post
I would also be very interested in this feature. Some other companies (for instance AWS with 1Password) have enabled Dropbox compatibility with their products, both iPhone and MacOSX. They face the same synchronization problems as OmniFocus when dealing with multiple parallel modifications of the DB, but somehow they managed to solve them using the Dropbox APIs, as far as I know.
1Password syncing is a much easier problem for the software engineers than syncing OF databases. With OF they have to deal with hierarchical structure, repeating items, and changing status (start dates, due dates). 1Password just has to deal with flat lists. The syncing capabilities and reliability provided by OF are an engineering marvel.

That said, I love Dropbox and appreciate that 1Password syncs using it now. The Omnicians, having solved the syncing problem in general, could probably port that solution to support Dropbox without too much trouble. On the other hand, there are occasional complaints on the forums that OF already has too many syncing options—tyranny of choice and all that.

Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrix View Post
I really don't think this is an issue anyway. mydisk.se (and others) are free, you don't have to use it for anything besides the OF file :-)
Not to mention the free (at least for now) Omni Sync Server.

-Dennis

DropBox is really great for syncing individual files around, but the way OmniFocus databases are set up - collections of files with a meaningful relationship between them - isn't handled as well. This isn't a criticism - their service just wasn't designed with files like ours in mind.

It is possible to get this working, but it's pretty fragile and requires a lot more caution than the built-in sync methods that OmniFocus supports. We don't recommend it.

Check this thread for more info.

Last edited by Brian; 2010-09-22 at 02:23 PM.. Reason: add second sentence in second paragraph. italicize possible.

I use WebDAV with Mydrive.ch to sync my devices + update the subscribed calendar in iCal.

Works great.