The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sync outlines between computers w/DropBox? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have one computer at home, another at work. There's an OO outline I frequently use at both places. I don't have any complicated syncing needs, like clippings - I just want to be able to open the OO file at either location, edit it, close it, and open it up at the other location to find the edited file.

I'm assuming I can do this with DropBox, but wanted to check here first before I stepped into quicksand I didn't see.

This should work, yes?

Yes, it should work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogbar View Post
I have one computer at home, another at work. There's an OO outline I frequently use at both places. I don't have any complicated syncing needs, like clippings - I just want to be able to open the OO file at either location, edit it, close it, and open it up at the other location to find the edited file.

I'm assuming I can do this with DropBox, but wanted to check here first before I stepped into quicksand I didn't see.

This should work, yes?
I do it all the time. I keep all my lecture notes in various OO files -- one for each class, mostly -- and I work on them on my laptop, my home computer, and my office computer. All are synced via DropBox. The only thing you need to be sure about is that you save changes and close wherever you are before you move to your next location. I don't know that OO could be counted upon to handle any file conflicts -- thought I suspect DropBox has some pixie dust it uses for some of this.

Great to know - thanks.