The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

How to Assign Resources "up to" X %?? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hey guys found my self with the same problem as this user has it been solved?

"Example: Four concurrent tasks, one resource

Task 1: 10 hours (effort)
Task 2: 10 hours
Task 3: 10 hours
Task 4: 50 hours

25% of 100% of the resource assigned to each task

Good thing: When leveling resources, OmniPlan (correctly) has the resource start all four tasks immediately.

Good thing: Tasks 1, 2, and 3 finish up in one week (25% of my 40 hour employee to each task).

Bad thing: Task 4 continues to receive only 25% of the resource's time, even AFTER the other tasks are complete (he's underutilized). As a result, it says the task will take 5 weeks (25% = 10 hrs x 5 weeks). In "the real world", he'd spend the entire second week (40 hours) on the last task, and get it done in a week.

Bad thing: If I change the allocation for task 4 to "100% of 100%", it doesn't even let my resource start until he has 100% availability (even though he could, "in the real world", use 25% of his time on it in week one.

Bad thing: I can't micromanage this - with changing dates and priorities, I don't know "which date" to bump my resource's allocation on - I'd (preferably) want Omni focus to do it for me.

So how do I tell Omnifocus "This task requires a minimum of 25% of this guy's time - don't schedule this task until he has that availability. BUT, if he has MORE than 25% availability, use it all, up to 100%"?

What am I doing wrong? Can this be done?

(new to the forum - thank you for the help - would appreciate any helpful links/resources on the subject - apologies if a repeat question - and sorry for the rambling!) ;)"

Thanks in advance!