The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

menu bar/dock notifiers vanish on closing main window; affects notifications Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
If you have chosen 'Show Due Soon and Overdue actions' in the Data preferences, then Omnifocus displays the number of 'Due Soon' actions in an orange circle and overdue ones in a red circle in the dock and/or menu bar. Now, if you close the main window, then the notifiers vanishes from both places. The menu bar now shows a folder icon that gives the only option 'Open default document'. The dock icon is now the plain icon with no notifier.

There are two problems that arise with this behavior.

1. I do not see Overdue or 'due soon' notifiers, even when omnifocus is running in the dock. This can potentially lead to the misplaced notion that i have nothing due soon or overdue.

2. When an action's state changes to 'Due Soon' or Overdue, the change is not triggered to growl. The notification is triggered when you next open any OF window, rather than at the correct moment. For example, I have a task due on a certain day at 10:00 AM. My omnifocus application is open (running in dock) since 8:00 AM, however all windows are closed. At 10:00 AM, no event is triggered either in my dock, or menu bar, or growl telling me that my task is overdue. Instead, if i happen to click on the OF icon in the dock at 5:00 PM, thats when my notifications appear. This kind of defeats the purpose of a growl notification.

I have seen certain posts with people mentioning GTD principle is not consistent with using alarms etc. (various posts on OF not having alarms). But in this case, the menu bar/dock/growl notification features have already been implemented. All I ask for is rectification of a bug that I am sure will help many users.
'Reminder alarms' may be a luxury feature to be implemented in the future, but 'Overdue alarms' are certainly important. Kindly fix this omnigroup!!

Thanks.

Last edited by pumpkinwhite; 2008-07-16 at 01:19 AM..

Until this behavior is changed, the workaround is to minimize or hide OmniFocus when you want its window out of the way, instead of closing it.

I had realized that hiding OmniFocus is a solution. Also, if you simply right click (or control-click) the icon, the notifiers come back. However, its still an annoyance and prone to human error. I can live without dock and menu bar notifiers. But, the fact that growl notifications do not work is disappointing.

Has Omnifocus already registered this as a bug? Do they plan to change this behavior in the near future?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinwhite View Post
Has Omnifocus already registered this as a bug? Do they plan to change this behavior in the near future?
I was told that the Omni Group does consider this a bug and intends to fix it in a future release.

See this thread.

-Dennis

Thanks. I hadn't seen that thread. My initial search was concentrated on finding the growl issue, and so i didn't find it. I suppose growl support was added later, and perhaps OmniGroup hasn't realized that the issue is interfering with growl notifications. If someone at Omnigroup is reading this thread, can you please add 'growl does not work when windows are closed' to your list of bug-fixes :).

pumpkinwhite: While we do read these forums quite a bit, the best way to get your bugs into our system is to send an email to omnifocus@omnigroup.com
Please do so.