The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Omniplan roadmap – any news? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
some of the stuff being added to 2.0 is stuff that the OmniPlan team has discovered that they want in the process of using OmniPlan to manage the project.
Cool. Can't wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Just 6, not 16? Why are you all so lazy? :-)

Is my impression that most of the Omni engineers are only working on one product at a time accurate? That would certainly simplify matters for resource allocation, I think.
Actually, we have a number of engineers who try to split their time between two projects (either two apps, or an app and some facet of our internal stuff). Some switch back and forth as needed, while others try to work in 2-week blocks on a single project.

Oh oh oh! Please pick me!

I just put this in the thread about shadows, but maybe putting it here is better.

- Main request I have is in regards to over look of the graphs. While fancy, the shadows look horrible when printed. Generally speaking the doc looks great on screen but doesn't print well at all. Shadows have a white cast below them, and both shadow and white cast cover up everything below them, such as date divider lines, any shading such as when you shade every other line or have overdue events with a shade, etc. Possibly due to non-postscript printer? I have no idea, but it looks terrible.

- I'd love to see a 'simplified' look, no aqua highlights, no shadows, and easier to edit line styles (say, year lines are thicker than quarters, which are thicker than months, etc).

- The border between the task list and the actual Gantt chart doesn't work, either - it seems like the list and gantt chart views don't match.

- While I am at it...any way to turn off the bullets next to the list items?

- The Overview is a great idea, but not implemented very well. It needs to be more defined with some adjustment as to location on the page - it would be great to see it as a graphic object that you could paste on top of a gantt chart, so people can see the detail page + get an idea of the overall project.

- The ability to import and place graphic objects would be great, too, both individual files, paste in, or even stencils like OG

- The ability to export the chart to OG for further refinement. Surprised this hasn't shown up already, actually. Printing to PDF and importing is messy, with a ton of junk (clipping panes, mostly, but also the gantt fill and shadows don't seem to export properly either).

- Better control of task numbering, including group sequence (say all items in one group are numbers 001-xxxx thru 001-9999, next group is 002-xxxx thru 002-xxxx, etc). It is a pain to have to do this manually.

I love OP, and can't wait to see what V2 brings. I'm sure I'll be back with more requests, too!

Last edited by Sanook; 2008-10-12 at 04:26 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
OmniPlan 2.0 is in active development right now. We've picked out some major features we plan to add, and some bugs and performance issues to address. But we don't have a finalized list yet, so your feedback is helpful.
I used OmniPlan for some Projects now, but mainly for doing estimates.

Since you asked: here is my wish-list for 2.x (please add my vote for anythin already in your feature lists):
  • Refining granularity: after a estimate for the quote, split tasks up to track project progress. (That would probably be the task splitting feature)
  • Bidirectional syncing to/from OmniFocus: OmniPlan Task -> OmniFocus, split up into actionably items in OmniFocus -> work on the items -> Merge progress backto OmniPlan for reporting to the customer and re-planning.
  • I'm unsing OmniPlan as a contractor working for several cusomers. For each customer project I use OmniPlan to communicate with the customer (estimate, report progress, negotiate milestones). When planning I need OmniPlan to schedule all different projects globally sharing the resources between them.
  • Improvements in leveling optimization: I'd like to specify the milestones and dependencies and have everything shuffled around to meet all milestones without resorting to manual intervention. Auto-splitting of tasks should be done automatically to fill in gaps shorter than the task. I know this is in principle a NP complete task, having a fast leveling and a slow (overnight) optimization using a simulated-annealing or genetic algorithm or similar would be great.

While optimzing it should plan forward an backward depending on the constraints -> this would get the backward planning abilities for "free"
  • Integrate some timetracking/clocking into OmniFocus/Omniplan -> then write OmniBill ;-)

A reminder to everyone: it's great to share stuff here, but if you want your feature requests tracked and considered during planning and development, _please_ email them to the OmniPlan feedback address (Send Feedback from the Help menu).

I would like to buy omni plan but waiting for the next version, if I buy it today will the next version be free? also a road map would be nice, or a list of the features you are concentrating on.
thanks

Upgrades to minor revisions of the same major version are free, so if the next release is 1.x, you won't have to pay. Upgrades to the next major version offer a substantial discount; have a look at the upgrade prices for OmniOutliner and OmniGraffle. Don't expect to get anything resembling a date out of Omni, however, unless it is along the lines of "we guarantee it won't be before <some date>."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
OmniPlan 2.0 is in active development right now. We've picked out some major features we plan to add, and some bugs and performance issues to address. But we don't have a finalized list yet, so your feedback is helpful.

it seems like the next version is a major version, so my thinking would be wait until it comes out then buy it or buy the current version if omni would honor the next major update free?

Quote:
Originally Posted by emck View Post
it seems like the next version is a major version, so my thinking would be wait until it comes out then buy it or buy the current version if omni would honor the next major update free?
Hard to imagine it could be out in less than a quarter of a year, minimum, if they are still mapping out what to put into it. That's a long time to wait to save $30 or $40 if the program is something you will use regularly (and if it isn't, why buy it?) I don't have any control over Omni's pricing, but looking at the pricing for upgrades from version 4 to 5 of OmniGraffle, which costs a bit more than OmniPlan, and Ken's past comments about how they like to give you quite a bit of credit for having bought the prior version, it seems like $30 or $40 is going to be the approximate cost of upgrading. Surely you can save more than 50 cents per work day by using it, no? If it is a useful tool to you now, you should buy it and use it now!

If it ships within a month of your purchasing it, you could take advantage of their 30-day refund policy to upgrade for free.

Last edited by whpalmer4; 2008-11-21 at 02:37 PM..