The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Curious Smooosh Success? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I, like others, have had the issue of rapidly growing database with two macs and an iPhone. This week was different and I'm not sure why.

I was traveling so I had my iPhone and laptop with me. My desktop was at home not running OF. When I arrived home, I setup my laptop and ran OF, then started my desktop ran OF and left OF as the front application on my iPhone and set it in the charger. All three ran all night long.

When I checked OF this morning I wanted to see how many "extra" clients I had picked up. My answer was surprising... none, just the three as it should be. So I checked the size of the file on my mobileme account and it was only about six or seven files.

The only things I can think of that are different: This week I used the iPhone OF less often, maybe not at all. I don't remember. I did view stuff on it but I am not sure if I added anything. If I did it was sparse. Also I did allow any of the sneaky peaks to update. I was on limited bandwidth all week and when I did have good bandwidth I was too busy with other work. That said, on my laptop I did use OF heavily rearranging things, this is normal for me.

The other unique thing that may or may not be relevant. Is that because of my constrained bandwidth the OF sync process failed a couple times on my laptop and the icon changed to the !. In fact one time I had to force quite the application because I did not have time to let it finish syncing, as I was dashing for the plane. The only reason I bring this up is in case there is some special error checking code that might get triggered and that some how that reset things on the mobileme side.

Obviously this is not a complaint but wanted to give feedback in case it might help Omni or someone.

I'm jealous. I have 114 files in my .omnifocus file right now. I sync my two Macs many times each day, and the iPhone at least once or twice a day.

I am now starting to see a pattern. My file count grew quite high since that last time I posted this. Then last night I made sure that before I went to sleep I left my iPhone in the charger with Omnifocus as the active application. Essentially running all night long. I also had OF running on my laptop and on my desktop all night. This morning I woke up and I was down to less than ten files and only three clients identified by OF, although that has never been over three.

I think it has something to do with letting Omnifocus on the iPhone run all night long, not just sync. Also I think that if a fake client shows up that hoses things up to.

The only other variable which I will eliminate today, is that I have not upgraded the sneaky peek all week long.

Last edited by gcrump; 2008-09-29 at 02:17 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrump View Post
I think it has something to do with letting Omnifocus on the iPhone run all night long, not just sync. Also I think that if a fake client shows up that hoses things up to.
All the clients need to be synced up, and have two sync cycles at least an hour apart. The compaction will run at that point. Leaving the phone and the computers on (and running OmniFocus) overnight should easily accomplish that if everything is working.

That was the trick for me, letting it run overnight. I think the iPhone has always been the problem because it can run OF as a background task, you have to remember to leave it with OF as the front task before going to sleep. I did that last night and only had 13 files.