The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Error messages... Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi,
New on the forums, adopted OF this summer after being initially turned-off...glad I went back and got my head around it!

However...
I am frequently getting cryptic error msgs about Locked Files and "No root can reach tail transactions..." One is attached here. Somehow or other I have occasionally lost a few things around this, but am quite paranoid it will be more one day!

Rather than the sync, for the moment I just added ~/Library/App Support/OF and the prefs file to my rsync script that backs-up to a drive. I take that drive to work, sync it to my work machine with a similar rsync script, then sync it back to the drive before I leave, come home and re-sync it to my machine, etc.

Seems like a harmless enough process to me. But if OF happens to be open when I run the script, the next time it launches it get some variety of these error msg-- I'll get the box a dozen times or more in a row and just sit there hitting OK. The file doesn't actually open, but I usually figure out how to cajole into working somehow. There may be a "not the best idea" in my process there somewhere...but I also don't have these issues with other apps.

Needless to say, I'd like to take care of this and have a "trusted system" of accessing my "trusted system." :)

Thanks,
brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Omni Error.png
Views:	1066
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	1243  

OmniFocus has built in support for syncing via a hard drive, which you should use instead of this scheme. The approach you are using is likely to cause trouble if the copying to/from the external drive takes place while OmniFocus is running.

Thanks for the reply.
Well, I find it happening when I'm fairly sure OF wasn't running, as well. I'll look at the disk sync again. I recall trying the WebDAV sync and it was real PITA, so maybe I set something up wrong. Still, if I have a fairly conventional backup system happening, IMO OF should fit into it just like any other app. But was just wondering if others are having these issues, since there are not many reports I have found here. I did see the FAQ on one of the recurring errors.

-Brian

You only have to get lucky once to do lasting damage to the database. By doing what you are doing, you risk copying an active database without any interlocking to make sure that all changes are properly incorporated.

As a rule of thumb, if an application stores data in a database and you copy the database while the application is running off to another machine, change it and copy it back, you are playing Russian roulette with your data.

It's possible that this will work just fine if you're extremely careful, but it's not a workflow that the design of the app takes into account. The error messages you're seeing are basically OmniFocus noticing that there are some files in the sync database that don't make sense to it.

The best thing to do is probably contact the support ninjas. We're happy to help get the database straightened out, and then help you set up either WebDAV or disk-based sync with a minimum hassle-factor.

Hope this helps!

Check.
Thanks very much.