The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OF, People & Contexts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi Guys,

I've used all the GTD software available over the last 5 years. None really fits the bill.

My problem is that I extensively use tags and OF doesn't have tags.

Here's the question. I deal with a lot of people in my workflow. This means calling them meeting with them, emailing them etc. My difficulty is that when I meet with an individual how can I get OF to show me everything about that person that I've put in OF? If I use the context then I may miss the person when I'm making calls or emails as only one context is allowed?

If you have contact of any sort with Joe Smith, whether email, phone, face-to-face, whatever, you go look at your Agenda : Joe Smith context where you've put all the items requiring some sort of contact with Joe Smith.

Problem is that I also have to call Joe Smith and want that to appear with my calls context or I might forget.

Using the context for agenda is problematic as it creates individual contexts that need to be checked making the whole GTD less efficient.

Call Joe Smith about XYZ @Agenda:Joe Smith Start:today Due:today
found either by looking at actions starting today, or actions due today

or,

Call Joe Smith about XYZ @Calls
found by looking at your @Calls context which you somehow magically know to check, and then check the Agenda:Joe Smith context while you are on the phone to make sure you've covered all matters concerning Joe.

Many of us find this scheme works fine, so long as you don't throw up too many theoretical roadblocks to convince yourself that it cannot :-)

I'm with svsmailus... I have the same issue. I wish there were a way to have multiple tags on one project action. Perhaps the action I want to follow up on is John's, but it is also I want to remember to follow-up with my boss to give him a specific update about John's progress. I wish there were a simple way to flag both.

@whpalmer4

I'm responsible for some 120 people. I do not check each individual on a daily basis, but contexts such as calls are checked everyday. I don't want anything slipping through the net.

This seems a real flaw with OF. There appears to be no way of assigning a task to a context as well as an individual without creating your own @tags in the subject line.

OF appears adequate for an individual completing tasks relating only to himself. This just isn't feasible for people who work as part of a team or those in leadership. Perhaps I'll have to go back to Taskpaper if I cannot come up with good solution.

I'm surprised with all the bell's and whistles on OF that such fundamental functionality does not exist.

I don't want to get into the multiple contexts per task argument, but am beginning to think that the lack of this ability or the lack of tags severely restricts OF for those of us that manage people as well as tasks.