The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Missing something, not OF, not OO.... ?? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Ok, I totally drank the Kool-aid on OF and OO (noob tip: buy OO first, get the discount on OF). So far so good, but there's a piece I'm still missing. I know this is not a OF or OO question, but I'm hoping someone here will have some good suggestions.

Here's what my work flow looks like...

Open OF, make a new project, call it "Survive Zombie Apocalypse" then add some actions like...
  • Research zombies
  • Research farming
  • Make packing list
  • Learn to use a cricket bat
  • Write to the UN about lack of zombie apocalypse response
  • Write to the POTUS about lack of funding for zombie cure research
  • Write to members of congress about lack of ear marks for state zombie response centers.

I do some research, sending some web clippings to OO, where I also make my packing list(s). Next it's time to write some letters and send some emails. I do my writing in Scrivener, then export to Pages or Word. For email I use my Mail to access my Gmail account.

Here's where I'm losing stuff. I have...
  • A project in OF.
  • At least one, but likely more than one Outline in OO.
  • Various web based resources in OO.
  • Documents in Scrivener, Pages and Word.
  • Various email messages.

That's not a particularly large or diverse group of stuff. What if I wanted to make movie and post it on youtube warning people about the looming zombie apocalypse? How about a timeline, pictures, or sound clips? I've got documents related to my project all over the darn place.

I need a way to find all that stuff, keep it in once place, and search it. Someone mentioned Journler, and DEVONThink; the first I didn't like, the second I'm trying to use BUT OH MY GOD THE LEARNING CURVE IS LIKE A FREEKING CLIFF! And let's not even talk about $150 for the ability to index my email...

And nothing sees into a Scrivener project, or an OO Document.

There's a part of me that's thinking about just doing everything in TextMate...

"Help me OB-Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope!"