The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Line Hops Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello ~

I'm using OG 5.02 Pro and need to diagram some lines which raise my question.

I have a four lines which cross forming a square, and using Line Hops (and Arrange Front/Back) I am able to get the right picture EXCEPT for the fourth line.

imagine taking four broom sticks. Laying 1 west > east, laying 2 North > South (where 2 is above 1), Laying 3 East > West (3 is above 2) and then completing the square by taking 4 and laying it south > north where the end touching 3 is ABOVE 3, yet the end touching 1 is BENEATH 1.

This is a rather basic knot construct called crowning and I've been unable to find a way to have one item (line 4 in this instance) cross planes and have one end on top, yet the other beneath the first line.

In the spirit of a picture being worth 1K words, Here is a link with a photo of what I'm trying to draw using OG http://www.boondoggleman.com/prj_square_stitch.htm

the fifth picture down shows an almost completed crown knot (boondoggle calls it square stitch). You can see if the forth pass went over both the first and third piece of lace that the knot would not hold.

To date, the only way i can think of to construct this is to have line 4 actually be TWO lines where the middle portions of these lines lay one on top of the other. Line 4, part 1 is beneath line 1 and Line 4, part 2 is ABOVE line 3.

Is there an easier way to construct this? I've inherited many hand drawn nautical knot diagrams which have degraded over the years which need to be re-done and my first inclination was to use OG for the task.

TIA

Looks like you're going to have to use the method where the last line is actually two lines, Graffle just isn't set up to handle Escher's Ascending & Descending in this case.

You can connect one half of the last line to its other half, if that helps at all.

ok ~ thanks for the reply.