The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniWeb, my first problems Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi,
I bought OmniWeb about 3 days ago without thinking much about it. I just felt right then (after an afternoon of testing the demo). Now I really begin to like the browser if it weren't for a few annoying little things I can't figure out. Maybe you can help me.

1. The first thing I see after launching the application is the window you also get in the demo where it sais how many days you have left for testing etc. Is there any way to get rid of that window (I searched this Forum but the only thing I found was something about License issues on when using on multiple computers)? All I want is an empty page.

2. I'd love OmniWeb to check for my neews more often. Every half an hour would be perfect. The minimum, 1 hour is just too long.

3. Is there a way to mark news in a folder in the favourites bar as viewed without having to do a right-click? On a notebook without a mouse, right-clicks are quite a hard thing to do. Something like Cmd-click would be nice.

That's it for now, thanks for your help, sorry for my english (;) ). Dominik.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doga
Hi,
I bought OmniWeb about 3 days ago without thinking much about it. I just felt right then (after an afternoon of testing the demo). Now I really begin to like the browser if it weren't for a few annoying little things I can't figure out. Maybe you can help me.

1. The first thing I see after launching the application is the window you also get in the demo where it sais how many days you have left for testing etc. Is there any way to get rid of that window (I searched this Forum but the only thing I found was something about License issues on when using on multiple computers)? All I want is an empty page.
Are you using it on multiple computers? If not, it's my guess that like anyone sensible, you've set up you notebook with an Administrator account and your individual user account, and that you entered your licence as the Administrator, but for a single user rather than for the computer. If I'm right about that, you need to go back, delete the current licence entry, click the radio button for all users of that computer and re-enter the details. Then anyone account holder on that computer can use it, but you can't use that licence on another computer.

Quote:
2. I'd love OmniWeb to check for my neews more often. Every half an hour would be perfect. The minimum, 1 hour is just too long.
Can't help on that one, I'm afraid ... I have enough time-wasters with my MBP not to need news feeds!

Quote:
3. Is there a way to mark news in a folder in the favourites bar as viewed without having to do a right-click? On a notebook without a mouse, right-clicks are quite a hard thing to do. Something like Cmd-click would be nice.
Try Ctrl-click = Right mouse click.
That's it for now, thanks for your help, sorry for my english (;) ). Dominik.[/QUOTE]
No problem ... not with your English either. :)
Mark

Quote:
Use the Dock icon - click and hold to pop-up the contextual menu for OmniWeb and then select the feed and Mark all as Viewed for that feed.

Better still, buy Newsfire. It's a great dedicated RSS reader, much nicer than any browser-based solution I've tried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiamenese
Are you using it on multiple computers? If not, it's my guess that like anyone sensible, you've set up you notebook with an Administrator account and your individual user account, and that you entered your licence as the Administrator, but for a single user rather than for the computer. If I'm right about that, you need to go back, delete the current licence entry, click the radio button for all users of that computer and re-enter the details. Then anyone account holder on that computer can use it, but you can't use that licence on another computer.
Unfortunately that's not the case. I entered the license-key as admin an I use it as admin (yes, I know... ;) ). I even reentered the number and nothing changed, I still get the "omniweb:/Unlicensed/"-page when I start Omniweb. I wouldn't bother if at least it had my default window-settings...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handycam
Better still, buy Newsfire. It's a great dedicated RSS reader, much nicer than any browser-based solution I've tried.
I read about 4 or 5 rss-feeds. Buying something would be a bit exaggerated. Otherwise I'd probably use Vienna which is not as beautiful as Newsfire but doesn't cost anything.

There's something else I wanted to ask: I recently started to use pandora.com in a tab in the background but OmniWeb seems to have problems with flash in other tabs (bug or feature?). Is there an other solution then running it in a separate window?

Thanks for the suggestions so far :) Dominik.

Quote:
There's something else I wanted to ask: I recently started to use pandora.com in a tab in the background but OmniWeb seems to have problems with flash in other tabs (bug or feature?). Is there an other solution then running it in a separate window?
I don't know if it's a bug or feature, but I'm pretty sure it's a known issue that plugin content doesn't play in unselected tabs. I remember it being mentioned at some point.

If you don't want to run pandora.com in a separate window, you can use the freeware PandoraBoy, a standalone pandora.com interface, which offers the additional benefit of being able to manipulate it with Quicksilver.

Hope that helps.

Quote:
The first thing I see after launching the application is the window you also get in the demo where it sais how many days you have left for testing etc. Is there any way to get rid of that window (I searched this Forum but the only thing I found was something about License issues on when using on multiple computers)? All I want is an empty page.
Maybe I understand...
If you're still getting the big globe and google search box, but the licensing dialog (in the OmniWeb menu) says "Software Licensed", then you just want to change your default start page:
1. Type "about://blank" in the address text box at the top of the window and press return. (You should now have a blank window.)
2. Choose "Take Snapshot" from the Workspace menu. Now every time you launch OmniPlan, it will load your only workspace (this one), so you'll get a blank page.

[Of course, you could specify some other URL in step one if you'd prefer starting somewhere else.]

Well, it doesn't say "Software Licensed" an I can still see the countdown (although it doesn't count down anymore). But the trick with the snapshot worked anyway :) Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handycam
Based on everything I’ve read about the developer I’m not purchasing any of his applications.
For RSS I use MacReporter. If I didn’t have it, I would probably use Vienna or NetNewsWire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Nahasapeemapetilon
Based on everything I’ve read about the developer I’m not purchasing any of his applications.
For RSS I use MacReporter. If I didn’t have it, I would probably use Vienna or NetNewsWire.
I've heard the same thing about D. Watanabe on a couple different forums.

A beta of NetNewsWire 3 is out now. Very impressive, especially the implementation of tabs and sidebar (something OW users have been making extensive feature requests for changes).