The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Will OW utilize the new version of WebKit? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmathes View Post
do these extensions allow managing security and display settings at the page level or only globally?
Partially. SafariStand supports "site alteration" for individual domains. It is not nearly as thorough or as graceful as OW in this regard, but it works.

I would venture that these requirements are important to probably a small minority of OW users. At least for me, webkit's maturity has nearly obviated spoofing (and firefox), and so I am looking for that optimum point between performance and features.

But, this might change when I get an intel Mac. :) No telling when that will be.

Payam

Quote:

The only thing in SafariStand that is behind OW is search engine aliasing, but adding and managing address bar search engine aliases (like OW search shortcuts) is not all that complicated.

Payam
The only thing? I'm a huge fan of SS, but it can't hold a candle to OW in terms of site preferences. The other thing that keeps me faithful to OW is zoomed text editing. Even with expandable fields in the latest version of Safari and Demeter, you can still run out of space, as it were.

I don't like using different browsers necessarily, but am resigned to firing up FF when using Zotero. Being able to export my main bookmarks with BookIt makes working between browsers much more convenient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
If you're looking for a reply from the OG, it's best to contact them directly via Send Feedback from within OW.

They tend to cherry pick WebKit revisions at this point.
Forrest. Let's hope they pick up this revision real soon. The last update to OW dealing with WebKit was v97340. I don't know how long ago that was but I don't think too long ago. OW AND Safari need a speed boost. I recently read that around half the Mac user base are still using PowerPC CPU's (myself included). Speed is always good.

As long as I have been registered to these forums, the only 2 things about OW I would change are the lack of horizontal tabs and the way the OmniGroup communicates their browser development. I will send this feedback via OW as well. Thanks.

Last edited by Chiller; 2008-02-18 at 05:30 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiller View Post
As long as I have been registered to these forums, the only 2 things about OW I would change are the lack of horizontal tabs and the way the OmniGroup communicates their browser development.
I'd also like to see it reliably work on all sites where Safari works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmathes View Post
are you talking about searching within a page? I’m not sure what you’re referring to. If searching within a page, I rarely do that and cmd-F works fine for me when I do.
I'm sure he's referring to web searches, since that's what Inquisitor does.

However, I'm surprised you say that "Cmd-F works fine for me." Try searching for a word in a busy page with multiple columns and lots of text. It's nearly impossible to locate the word that OmniWeb highlighted. Now try doing the same thing in the latest version of Safari, where the background fades out and the search term pops into view. It's effortless! OmniWeb is definitely behind in its Cmd-F functionality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handycam View Post
I'd also like to see it reliably work on all sites where Safari works.
Yeah, this would be nice. Netflix has been broken for what, over a year now? Facebook broke a few months ago.

I own two OmniWeb licenses, but I've had to go back to Safari for the time being. I need my browser to actually work reliably, and I'm tired of waiting for fixes that never, ever come after an untold number of Sneaky Peeks that don't seem to address the real, pressing issues I face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vocaro View Post
I'm sure he's referring to web searches, since that's what Inquisitor does.

However, I'm surprised you say that "Cmd-F works fine for me." Try searching for a word in a busy page with multiple columns and lots of text. It's nearly impossible to locate the word that OmniWeb highlighted. Now try doing the same thing in the latest version of Safari, where the background fades out and the search term pops into view. It's effortless! OmniWeb is definitely behind in its Cmd-F functionality.
hadn’t used Safari for a while so tested and that IS a nice feature, one I'd like to see in OmniWeb.

But it’s no big deal to me, more cosmetic than anything. I’ve never had a problem finding what I'm looking for this way.

re Inquisitor, had never heard of it so just checked it out. Looks nice but I wouldn’t want that behavior in OW. I dislike Spotlight’s ‘search as you type’ functionality and wouldn’t want it for web searches, either. Maybe I'd like the other stuff it does.

For me, I make heavy use of preferences at the site level, both security and format. And I love the ease of utilizing Workspaces. Those two feature sets together keep me a happy OW user. But I agree with the premise that it seems like some of their development resources have been elsewhere of late. And as an OmniFocus user, I get and appreciate that. But hopefully OW will be in for some more substantive updates shortly.

Ken has posted a response in a different thread. They won't be updating to the latest WebKit until they get word from the WebKit team that it is stable and as of yet, it is not stable. Therefore, 5.7 is likely to be released using the current WebKit version that it already uses rather than delaying.

thanks Jonathan. That answers the question, they’re gonna use it, but when the timing is right. Cool.