The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

I wish I knew how to quit you, OmniWeb Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I've been blocking flash (with click-to-activate) in OmniWeb for years: I long ago added "\.swf" to my blocked URLs list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handycam View Post
The tab drawer hogs the screen for OW, plus it doesn't close when you are down to one tab which is worse.
In my current download of OW 5.9.1 SP the tab drawer automatically closes and the screen expands to full size when down to one tab. BTW, the width of the tab drawer, and consequently the size of the tabs, is adjustable by dragging it.

Last edited by jwthomas; 2009-03-08 at 10:48 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handycam View Post
The tab drawer hogs the screen for OW, plus it doesn't close when you are down to one tab which is worse.
I actually submitted feedback asking for the ability to disable the auto-closing; it steals my "right-click, select 'make new tab' from context menu" target just when I'm most likely to want it. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
I actually submitted feedback asking for the ability to disable the auto-closing; it steals my "right-click, select 'make new tab' from context menu" target just when I'm most likely to want it. :-)
No way! They had better leave the auto-close. Or ultimately make it a preference.

You want a new tab via right-click? Open the drawer manually. Or do command-T. Middle click on a link. Right click a link and open in new tab.

There are many ways to get a new tab. But the old way OW was the only browser that forced up to keep its version of a "Tab bar" visible always -- and it's an enormous tab bar too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
If you manually open the drawer, it won't auto-close. (The "manually opened" setting is currently preserved in persistent workspaces; it might also be nice to remember as a default setting for new windows.)

Ken & other Omnifolk,

I'm delighted that you're giving some love & attention to OmniWeb lately, and the addition of the latest WebKit will be wonderful.

I did see Ken make mention of "OmniWeb 6," and may I please put in a plug for a couple of features, including one that is on my list of must-haves for a browser: returning the focus to my last selected tab when I close the current tab, rather than the tab next to it in the list. If my previous tab is way up in the list in the tab drawer, scrolling back and hunting it down can take up time and be distracting.

And speaking of the tab drawer... In order to keep OmniWeb looking fresh, and in keeping with modern OS X user paradigms, it would be great to see the drawer replaced with a pane, similar to the one at the left side of the OmniFocus window, iTunes, Path Finder, etc.

Again, thanks so much for the work you folks are doing!

Like others, I was concerned to see OmniWeb go free. The $$$ I spent on a Family Pack is the best investment I've made in any software, ever! The fear that OmniWeb would grow cobwebs has been quelled by the recent sneaky peeks, especially 5.9.2.

I can't imagine using any browser without ...
  • Workspaces (!!!!!)
  • site-specific preferences (for font size and ad blocking, not just spoofing)
  • customizable search shortcuts
  • resizable, rearrangeable tab drawer (now with auto-hide)
  • active developer participation in the user forums

And I don't buy the argument that Safari and Firefox can be just as good if you install an Xyzzy plug-in and stand on your head and spit marbles. OmniWeb, right out of the (virtual) box, just rocks!

-- Ward

Last edited by Ward; 2009-03-11 at 06:38 PM.. Reason: fix typo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
I've been blocking flash (with click-to-activate) in OmniWeb for years: I long ago added "\.swf" to my blocked URLs list.
For some reason I never thought to do this. It really does speed up the browsing experience, but unfortunately it doesn't catch everything. Some Flash embeds don't end in .swf on the server side. It would be nice if it was possible to explicitly block Flash until a click on the applet's area in a way that worked with all Flash applets. Of course I don't know anything about how hard it would be to implement this :-) but it would make my day!

The problem with Ken's solution (which I have also being using for several years) is that it doesn't permit you to block image ads but still have Flash active at a site. You have to block both or none.

Therefore, the ability to block Flash (and other plug-ins if possible) separately from images would be highly beneficial. An OmniWeb 6.0 feature I hope.