The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

RC1 is outstanding! Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
For me, the blue focus ring starts around the location pane. Tabbing shifts the blue focus ring to the Save button via the New Folder and Cancel buttons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT
For me, the blue focus ring starts around the location pane. Tabbing shifts the blue focus ring to the Save button via the New Folder and Cancel buttons.
Yes, but have you tried it? Even if you've tabbed to the "new Folder" button, and the button has the blue ring around it, hitting return selects "save", not the "new folder" button (i.e. the dialog closes and the files download).

Try it.

IMO, I shouldn't have to TAB to a button anyhow, if the dialog has a "default" button. hitting return should be the same as clicking on the default button. It's the Mac way!

Use the spacebar to select the button or object with the blue focus ring around it (this is a feature of Full Keyboard Access and the OS and has been this way since 10.3.x). Spacebar is the default key for selecting anything via FKA.

Conversely, you use the return/enter key to select the default blue button in any dialogues, and this is not necessarily the button with a focus ring around it.

Edit: I deleted my prior post as I confused myself over the way it worked (it's late... I'm knackered, yadda, yadda) - the above is the way things work.

Last edited by JKT; 2006-08-30 at 04:19 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT
Conversely, you use the return/enter key to select the default blue button in any dialogues, and this is not necessarily the button with a focus ring around it..
That's my point exactly. This is what's broken in OW.

Are you in column view or list view? Mine only works in column view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT
Conversely, you use the return/enter key to select the default blue button in any dialogues, and this is not necessarily the button with a focus ring around it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handycam
That's my point exactly. This is what's broken in OW.
Well...that in itself isn't broken. The return key is used exclusively for the default button. It's never supposed to activate the highlighted UI element -- the spacebar has always been the key for that.

I tried the "save linked images" test you suggested, and the return key works. My save dialogs are always in column mode, so I tried it again, and switched to list mode first; after doing that, the return key did not work. However, I hit cancel and tried it again; this time the dialog was already in list mode, and now the return key works fine. It worked fine on both occasions that I hit return without clicking anywhere first. On both of those occasions I hit command-D first to select the Desktop, and that didn't cause a problem. I then tried it a couple more times. I found that if I click to switch to column view, the return key still works. So, if I've isolated this correctly:

The problem occurs only after switching to list view in the save dialog, and only for that particular occurrence. On the next occurence, even if it's in list mode it works fine.

Last edited by Stormchild; 2006-08-31 at 03:41 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchild
The return key is used exclusively for the default button. It's never supposed to activate the highlighted UI element -- the spacebar has always been the key for that.
That's what I meant. Sorry if it was unclear. My problem is that in this dialog there is a DEFAULT button that refuses to respond to the RETURN key. Never mind highlights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchild
The problem occurs only after switching to list view in the save dialog, and only for that particular occurrence. On the next occurence, even if it's in list mode it works fine.
I can't get it to work for me in list view, period. Only in column view. I tried your scenario, and it's still the same: the default button only responds to "return" key in column view.

It's not just this dialog, either. Try File > Open file. Again, in list view, highlight an html file on your HD and hit return. Nothing, even though there is a default "open" button.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handycam
RC1 is outstanding!
YES, it's great :cool:

FWIW, I don't use anything other than column view, so that'll explain why it works for me.

Just tried a little experimenting - if I switch to list view using my mouse, return doesn't do anything. If I press tab (it doesn't matter where the focus ring ends up, just the act of moving it works), the return key will become active and select the default button.

So you're right there is a problem with the return key with list views in OmniWeb dialogues. I had a go with TextEdit and it worked as expected - default button selected straight away.