The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Can someone please explain bookmark synchronization to me? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgf
Len - I ought to point out that the Firefox solution is provided by way of an extension - a small add-on provided by a third party, FoxMarks at www.foxcloud.com.

A lot of people are finding that the extensibility of FireFox offered by these third-party extensions is proving an irrisistable attraction. There are a huge number of extensions which work on both Mac and Windows.
Unfortunately, finding ones that are worth having is the major problem with this extensibility - there are just too many of them and finding either the best one for any particular job, or novel ones that add must have features requires a heck of a lot of time, patience and effort. Unfortunately, the rating system just means that those extensions that are the oldest at doing a job stay the most popular and it doesn't necessarily mean that they are the best ones any longer. The newer, better versions can't get any traction because the rating favours those older extensions. Catch 22.

After reading this thread and the documentation, I'm still unclear about synchronization and am unable to get it to work as expected with my .Mac account. I think I could get it if I knew several things...

QUESTION 1

OmniWeb seems to put bookmarks in three places:

1. ~/Library/Application Support/OmniWeb 5
2. ~/Library/Application Support/OmniWeb 5/ServerBookmarks
3. the remote WEBDAV or .Mac server.

From reading the documentation, my understanding is that, after enabling the preference "Synchronize bookmarks to other Macs", the bookmarks files in location (1.) become useless garbage and are never read or written as long as this preference remains enabled. Is that true?

QUESTION 2

Also, the documentation implies that clicking menu > Bookmarks > Synchronize Bookmarks Now causes bookmarks in .../ServerBookmarks to be synchronized to those on the remote server. Now, there are three possible meanings to this:

(a) Copy files from .../ServerBookmarks to the remote server
(b) Copy files from the remote server to .../ServerBookmarks
(c) Look at file modification dates and copy newer over older

So, which does it do? (a), (b) or (c)?

QUESTION 3

Besides the manual menu command, there must be automatic triggers for the "synchronization" discussed in Question 2? The threads above imply that it may happen when OmniWeb is launched. Is that true? Is that the only other trigger? Is there an AppleScript command for triggering "synchronization"?

Thanks!

Jerry Krinock

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyb
Hmm, how does this work?

1.) Turn off bookmark syncing on both computers.
2.) Turn Bookmark syncing on for the first *master* computer.
3.) Turn syncing on for the second computer, making sure you choose to use bookmarks on the remote server.
4.) Quit the unused copy of OmniWeb
5.) Save a bookmark in the active copy of OmniWeb and quit.
6.) Restart the other copy of OmniWeb. Do you get the saved bookmark? What if you do a manual check?
I'll give this a try too since trying to sync them is driving me nuts. Another a similar note related to bookmarks, can you tell us why when in bookmark preferences one selects place new bookmarks at the end of the list they always appear at the top? Also, it would be nice to be able to secondary or "right" click a bookmark from the list and open it in a new tab.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf11
can you tell us why when in bookmark preferences one selects place new bookmarks at the end of the list they always appear at the top?
This seems to be working okay for me. Can you give me the exact steps you take to reproduce the problem?

Quote:
Also, it would be nice to be able to secondary or "right" click a bookmark from the list and open it in a new tab.
I'm guessing you're referring to folders in the favorites bar right? They will follow the Command-Click behavior so you might try holding command down when selecting a bookmark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyb
This seems to be working okay for me. Can you give me the exact steps you take to reproduce the problem?

I'm guessing you're referring to folders in the favorites bar right? They will follow the Command-Click behavior so you might try holding command down when selecting a bookmark.
I secondary click with my mighty mouse and select add book mark and I usually choose a location in the toolbar menu. The new bookmark shows up but at the top of the list even though in preferences I've set it to put it at the bottom. (My mac isn't that old, 4 days, so I know there aren't any settings I've knowingly corrupted that would cause this behavior.) Also I'm on the bookmark page and I'm cleaning things up and I want to get rid of empty folders...how do you do that?

Yeah, I know, but why should one need two hands to do this?

...I'm new to macs (which might explain my naivete) and I've been trying out all the different browsers and I LOVE omniweb but I must say there are a lot of basic functions in this program that are missing that should be standard fare for a browser...sorting bookmarks with a click; opening pages in a new tab with a single click without use of extra digits on one's free hand (yeah, lazy I know...); organizing bookmarks with a click and the ability to delete or remove empty bookmark folders or duplicate bookmarks by pressing delete. (speaking of pressing, there are also times when I click a link or a button and nothing happens...I have to click multiple times before I get a response it happens consistently on a number of sites I frequently use, so responsiveness is sluggish).

I'm sure I'll find more things as I continue to use the program but these are my initial pet-peeves for a product that costs money. There are a lot of nice bells and whistles and functionality but it seems like the zeal to add all of these things has caused the developers to overlook the basic ways in which users work and use an internet browser (Microsoft is famous for that). It's akin to installing a radio in the car but putting the controls in the back seat so the passengers have better access to them when they're in the car...nice to have, but... Some of these things shouldn't be "feature" requests that might make it into new builds.

Again, I love what I see in the program and this is truly meant as CONSTRUCTIVE criticism so please take my comments as intended as user feedback that hopefully will make this an even better program. My golf game stinks, so I look for perfection elsewhere, especially if it's cheaper! :)