The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OW 5.8 Failing on some web sites Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
OW 5.8 has begun failing to connect with some web sites and I'm hoping someone here can suggest something I haven't tried. These are sites that up until yesterday worked just fine with OW, but now will never load. Other sites The problem sites include some pretty generic ones with only some basic JavaScript and CSS. Safari 3.2.1 on the same system will load the sites without any problem.

I've trashed all the OW application support files to start with a new workspace, trashed the OW cache files, replaced the application itself, and have cleared font caches, repaired permissions, and logged in as a different user under which the problem persists. The activity and error logs show nothing I can identify as indicative.

Can anyone think of anything else I can try short of a complete OS install (which I won't bother with; I'll just abandon OW for now if that's the only answer)? I'm completely baffled at this point. Here's my system specs:

iMac 2.8GHz 4GB RAM
Mac OS X 10.5.5
QuickTime 7.5.5
Latest Flash and Shockwave plug-ins (disabling has no effect)
No other third-party Internet plug-ins
Mac OS X firewall allowing all connections

Again, Safari on the same system at the same time has no problem loading up the sites that OW will fail on.

Thanks in advance,

Dave Sawyer

Hi Dave, can you tell us what the error you see is when you try loading one of these pages? Can you also give us an example URL that fails to load?

Hi, Troy,

Thanks for the response. There is no error message; the sites just fail to load (the progress icon spins forever, or at least until I run out of patience).

Here are some examples of sites that fail:

http://www.ucdenver.edu

http://www.uchsc.edu/sop/

http://www.uchsc.edu/

When I attempt to connect to any of these sites or their sub-pages (using a direct URL to the page), it just never loads. Things were working without problem until the last day or so. As I said above, all of the sites will load quickly and without problem in Safari on the same system at the same time.

Any suggestions will be gratefully received.

Thanks,

Dave

Perhaps a sample of OmniWeb would be helpful. Try this:

Open up Activity Monitor which is located in your Applications > Utilities folder.
Start OmniWeb, and visit one of these pages.
Back in Activity Monitor, locate OmniWeb in the list of applications, select it.
In the view menu select "Sample Process" or click on the Sample toolbar item.

Copy the contents of the sample into a text document and attach it here or mail it to omniweb5@omnigroup.com. Myself or Dave will see it there, thanks!

Also, checking the error log in OmniWeb after attempting to load a page might be helpful as well. (It's available in the Window menu.)

Thanks. The sample has been sent. As I mentioned in my first post, the Error log shows nothing useful. In fact, unless the Show HTTP Requests checkbox is selected, there's nothing in the error log at all.

One additional bit of information: I left OW just running and running in it's attempt to connect to ucdenver.edu and eventually it did connect but did not use the style sheet. So either OW is so slow at loading the page that the style sheet or it's now tripping over the CSS for some unknown reason.

Regards,

Dave

I'm seeing the same failure (only tried the ucdenver.edu link). OW 5.8 times out after a lengthy wait, Safari renders the page almost instantly. Odd.

Here's another sample of a site that loads fine in Safari but will never load in OW 5.8:

http://blogs.computerworld.com/sharky

EDIT: it did finally load in OW, but took several minutes whereas Safari loaded it in a few seconds.

The sample didn't tell me a whole lot unfortunately. Do either of you have a proxy setup that you connect to the internet through?

And just for the record, if you set your preferences aside do you continue to see the slowdowns?

Your OmniWeb preference file is here:

~/Library/Preferences/com.omnigroup.OmniWeb5.plist
(Where ~ is your home folder)

Hi all,

I'm seeing the same troubles. The only thing I can remember doing is downloading a webkit niglty build which included that debugger in the diskimage.

If you need more reports, I'd love to help.

Edit: added the log entries where i tried loading http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eigenwoningforfait. When pressing escape while the loading stalls, the first error gets thrown.

2008-11-05 13:54:29 http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eigenwoningforfait: Operation could not be completed. (NSURLErrorDomain error -999.)

Last edited by Kai; 2008-11-05 at 04:04 AM.. Reason: More fixes of my report

The sample didn't tell me a whole lot unfortunately. Do either of you have a proxy setup that you connect to the internet through?

No, no proxy. And I can duplicate the problem on my home system, a PowerMac G5 with Mac OS X 10.5.5 and OW 5.8, which connects to the Internet through a completely different ISP (Comcast).

And just for the record, if you set your preferences aside do you continue to see the slowdowns?

Yes. As I said in my first post, I've trashed everthing - prefs, caches, support files, etc. It will even happen with a completely new Mac OS X user with a completely fresh launch of OW. So it seems probable that it's a not a problem this installation but rather with OW and the sites, perhaps some changes to JavaScript or CSS loading or perhaps a change in the DNS that OW now has trouble parsing.

Dave

Last edited by dsawyer; 2008-11-05 at 06:00 AM..