The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

How to make my own created shape behave like a standard one? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
If you pic a shape from the standard stencils and put it on your drawing you can select it by simply clicking on it (anywhere on the shape). The same applies to a shape drawn with one of the tool.

I've made a shape from different lines and grouped them to get one figure that can be put in my new stencil (VSM symbols). However, with my own shape I specific have to click the edge (line) to select it. This is working a lot slower then just click a shape anywhere. How can my shape get the same behaviour?

Thanks!

Guus

One way to achieve this is to group the lines, select them, choose Copy as> PDF from the Edit menu and paste this PDF version into your document. You can then get rid of the original lines at this point if you want to. The pasted PDF behaves like a shape rather than lines, so you can click anywhere on it and it will become selected.

If, in the future, you need to change the shape at all, double click the inserted PDF and it will open a "LinkBack" window which displays the original content (i.e. the lines) which you can edit. Saving this window causes the shape in the first document to update with the new parameters.

Thanks Jonathan, I'll give that a try for more complex figures. For now I've remade the figure by subtracting other shapes (Pro-option) so I'm on my way again!

Thanks again,

Guus