The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Omniweb in 64-bit? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Is Omniweb or any of other apps going to be ported to 64-bit? I know they're compatible with Snow Leopard, but they don't take advantage of it just yet!

Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated.

In OmniWeb's case, yes we're looking at going 64-bit. The only drawback is we will probably have to drop Tiger support. We wanted to get 5.10 out before we had to make a decision like that. Hopefully it wont be too long before you see 64-bit builds appearing as sneaky peeks!

Awesome!

Great! Thanks for letting us know!

I really hope it isn't too long before those sneakypeeks arrive - I do not like using Safari one bit.

I know that Omniweb uses the latest Webkit in it's builds, but Safari uses a "Nitro" javascript engine - does Omniweb share that or use something of its own (to parse JS)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by garfield View Post
Great! Thanks for letting us know!

I really hope it isn't too long before those sneakypeeks arrive - I do not like using Safari one bit.

I know that Omniweb uses the latest Webkit in it's builds, but Safari uses a "Nitro" javascript engine - does Omniweb share that or use something of its own (to parse JS)?
I'd like to know that too.

Yes, OmniWeb 5.10 uses the same Nitro Engine that Safari 4 uses.

You may see mention of SquirrelFish Extreme instead of Nitro inside of WebKit, code wise there is not any difference -- Nitro is just the fancy name Apple is using.

I don't want to be nitpick but what is with the 64bit browser insanity on OS X? No plugins work, OS X is perfectly capable of running 32bit software and by default, except macbook pro and Xserve, iMac, it already opts in for 32bit kernel which is also perfectly capable for running 64bit apps.

Omni group provides a great browser, for free to 10.4.11 users who otherwise would be otherwise abandoned soon (signals are coming) and just because a 1% minority of elitist users want a pure 64bit browser on a OS which doesn't need such backwards things (unlike Linux), 10.4.x will be dropped.

Please tell what would you do if you spotted Omniweb use MORE THAN 4GB of memory? Would you mail support or directly call them? That is what 64bit support is for besides a jokingly 10-12% speed increase which has no guarantees.

Do we really need to reproduce Linux on OS X?

I wouldn't bother if it was Omniweb 6 and Omni group did World's first actual SMP capable browser, using Grand Central etc. but, if it goes 10.5/10.6 just because some people can't live without seeing everything as 64bit on their activity monitor, it is not justice really...

The link to 'IE' under Windows 7 64bit defaults to 32bit version of IE since IE 64bit is incapable of running 32bit plugins (read: FLASH) and talk to any developer about it, including Opera, Mozilla, 64bit browser for today is just elitism and nothing else especially on non Linux operating systems.

64-bit will include a performance bump for those that are able to take advantage of it it's true. But there's more than that! On Snow Leopard WebKit will be able to use the most up to date APIs we'll also be able to take advantage of the 10.6 features such as text substitutions and plug-in isolation which is huge for us because Flash is the single biggest source of crashes that OmniWeb has.

Over the long run this will also make OmniWeb easier for us to maintain which means we can spend more time working on features rather than trying to maintain the dated code that is already there.

If we were still selling OmniWeb we would probably have saved 64-bit for version 6. But since we're free we'd rather bring users features such as this in a more timely manner when possible.

All of this sounds great--the new webkit, thread isolation, etc. But what about us poor schmucks still on PowerPC? Snow leapord won't run for us, of course. And killing Tiger means orphaning all g3's for sure (not a great surprise) and a surprising amount of g4's as well. Would this mean that only powerPC's running Leopard would be able to use 5.11 or whatever it is? Or are PowerPC users just going to be out of luck entirely, and 5.10 is the end of the line?