The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

RC1 is outstanding! Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Just a note of thanks to the developers, RC1 is an excellent piece of work. Page loads and renders are really fast.

All my rendering bugs seem to have been fixed. I like the clear "box" placeholders for blocked ads and flash.

So far my only crasher has been while using the page inspector. Hopefully moving forward this will be made more stable.

I hope that some pre-5.5 bugs eventually get fixed:
-- disappearing "favorites" folder in bookmarks menu
-- default buttons in dialogs that do not respond to "return"
-- default bookmark folder in prefs stays put

All in all, great work!

Working like a charm for me :)

Well, it's still a memory hog (currently at 142 Mb, and 2% residual CPU usage with nothing happening), but, yes, stability, speed and compatibility are all outstanding. This is a release candidate, indeed.

P

Quote:
Originally Posted by philonous
Well, it's still a memory hog (currently at 142 Mb)
Keep in mind how OS X deals with memory. If you're out of free or inactive memory, then you've got a problem.

Last night OW had nearly 1GB RAM allocated to it. But I still had plenty of inactive and free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handycam
-- default buttons in dialogs that do not respond to "return"
That's a feature of Full Keyboard Access in OS X and probably is not within OmniGroup's control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT
That's a feature of Full Keyboard Access in OS X and probably is not within OmniGroup's control.
That's odd, since I've never seen it before. i would assume that all buttons displayed as "default" (i.e. pulsing blue) should respond to a "return". No?

CPU usage is OK. 5% while I'm typing this, drops to about 1% when this page is put in background. That's less than iTunes not playing in the background or Default Folder BG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handycam
CPU usage is OK. 5% while I'm typing this, drops to about 1% when this page is put in background. That's less than iTunes not playing in the background or Default Folder BG.
As has been discussed before, most (all?) of the CPU hogging issues seem to be related to JavaScript and specific sites. So unless you have found a reproducible case and tested that with RC1...

For me, I continue to have the same CPU issues as before. This morning I came to my machine and it had the same crash during the middle of the night that it has for the last many nights. Unfortunately, I visit so many sites during the course of a day I've only found two that are a catalyst to this problem, and one requires an account. There are many others, as I seem to find them on a daily basis.

I would say let RC1 run for a few days, while doing a lot of surfing. I'm betting you will encounter the same CPU hogging as others have.

Edit: Deleted as I had posted some incorrect info.

Last edited by JKT; 2006-08-30 at 04:09 PM..

try this: on this very page, do File >Saved linked images. Make sure the file save dialog is in list view, choose your desktop (or make a new folder with the "new folder" button). You cannot use the keyboard to activate that blue "Save" button. If I hit "tab" a few times, I can get it to go, but I don't see any highlighting.