The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Am I doing something wrong? Workspaces Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I've just downloaded this browser and the option to have workspaces really appealed to me. I tend to do my web browsing in blocks.

However after setting up many workspaces I've realised that if I close the browser while on that workspace it deletes it....is this supposed to happen? I wanted them to act like bookmark blocks so I could use bookmarks for the other bits and workspaces for regular use.

Thanks in advance.

Are you checking the "Auto-save while browsing" box at the bottom of the Workspaces window when you create a workspace whose contents you wish to retain? Workspaces where that is checked should be restored when you revisit them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Are you checking the "Auto-save while browsing" box at the bottom of the Workspaces window when you create a workspace whose contents you wish to retain? Workspaces where that is checked should be restored when you revisit them.
Yes this is checked. It does a pop up when I close the window saying do you want to close all tabs and of course at first I said yes as I figured they were saved anyway..

So you are closing the windows, not just switching to a different workspace? That's not the idea, unless you make a snapshot first.

Quote:
So you are closing the windows, not just switching to a different workspace? That's not the idea, unless you make a snapshot first.
I close the window when finished. I may move around workspaces while in OmniWeb but then when I'm finished I just close the window. Does this not keep the workspace?

I thought the idea of setting them up was so they are still there...taking a snapshot is an option I'll often forget.

Maybe I need to look at book marks more and see if I can get them to work for me, otherwise it's back to Safari and the visual aspect of Top Sites. :(

It sounds like you want to take a snapshot once in each workspace. That way, the next time you load it, it knows to return to the default configuration you set up.

You don't need to take a snapshot every time you use a workspace, just when there's some state you want to preserve your ability to come back to later.

The other alternative is to switch to another workspace with the windows you want to return to still open. OmniWeb is going to preserve the state you put that workspace into - including the state where all the windows have been closed. It's just putting things back the way it found them. :-)

Ahh, thank you!

Will try that in the morning. (I'm in the UK and it's the small hours now)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
It sounds like you want to take a snapshot once in each workspace. That way, the next time you load it, it knows to return to the default configuration you set up.
This works and it doesn't. I still loose the workspace if I close the window while one is loaded. I can restore it afterwards using restore snapshot, but it's not ideal.

Is this something they may implement in the future do you think?

It sounds to me like you want the program to read your mind about whether you want a given window to come back later. If you don't want the window on your screen, but don't actually wish to discard it, why not just click the yellow button or press cmd-M to minimize it instead of clicking the red button or pressing cmd-W?

Quote:
It sounds to me like you want the program to read your mind about whether you want a given window to come back later. If you don't want the window on your screen, but don't actually wish to discard it, why not just click the yellow button or press cmd-M to minimize it instead of clicking the red button or pressing cmd-W?
No. I want a workspace that I create to stay that workspace, any additional browsing that adds on top to go when I close it down, but the orignal workspace I created (and snapshot) to remain.

If I open Omniweb and browse random sites, I'd expect that to disappear when I shut it down, if I create something and save it, I don't expect it to disappear.....