The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Bug Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Problems with customized Google News Pages Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Running OmniWeb/5.9.2/GM-v622.6.1 under Mac OS X 10.5.6 on a PowerMac G5 Dual 2.3 GHz.

I have customized a Google News page <http://news.google.com/> and, as of today, when I load this page I see a message on the page (in a yellow box at top right) from Google telling me that I've customized this page. The page takes forever to load. Attempts to scroll the page while it's loading results in the spinning wait cursor. Quitting and relaunching OW: no joy.

I created the same customized Google News page in Safari (Version 3.2.1 (5525.27.1)) and do not see this problem.

I suspect Google has made some change to their code that isn't working in the latest version of OW.

Can you click on the "Edit this personalized page" and then take a screen capture of the box that appears and send it to our support ninjas? One of the news blocks you've added is probably causing a problem and it would be good if we could try to narrow down which one is.

Will do. I will also send along some Samples of the OW process while the loading problem is occurring. I'll send all of the above via Feedback and reference this thread.

It's not that I've added news blocks: I've removed some and rearranged the remaining. The setup is essentially:

Top stories (3)

Business (5) US (5)
World (5) Sci/Tech (5)
Health (3)

The numbers in parenthesis are the number of stores shown in each section.

When the page starts to load, the Top Stories and Business sections load quickly. The Status Bar shows "finished loading" but Activity Monitor shows the OW process churning away at 100%+ CPU, sometimes showing Not Responding as the remaining sections of the Google News page slowly appear in their places.

As an aside, their Beta interface for AdWords advertisers to manage their accounts does not support OW. A message appears stating one should use IE, FireFox, or Chrome and they are "working to support more browsers."

Last edited by Dr. Smoke; 2009-04-28 at 10:18 AM..