The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

New Background Tabs Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Before I post this in the feature request forum, I want to make sure I'm not missing something.

I want to be able to click on a link and have it open in a new background tab. Currently, settings allow me to cmd-click a link and do this. I can also click and hold on a link and have a contextual menu come up offering me that option. However, I would like to click the link and have it open in a new background tab. I'd even settle for opening in a new background window.

Is this currently possible?

I'm using 5.5 v607 on 10.4.8.

Edit: Sorry, I misunderstood you at first and posted a solution you had already described (command-clicking). You can only set links pointing to other websites to be opened in a new tab (not in the background, though) in the preferences.

Last edited by zottel; 2006-10-18 at 11:08 AM..

I think you're misunderstanding my question.

You mean you want EVERY link to open in a new tab? i don't think that's possible. Normally, clicking a link navigates the browser to a new page -- just (as you said) command-click to send the link to a new tab instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handycam
You mean you want EVERY link to open in a new tab? i don't think that's possible. Normally, clicking a link navigates the browser to a new page -- just (as you said) command-click to send the link to a new tab instead.
Actually, you can set OmniWeb to open every link in a new tab by clicking on it. Check your prefs.

Uh, then what's your question? You seem to have it solved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forum member
Actually, you can set OmniWeb to open every link in a new tab by clicking on it. Check your prefs.
I also have this set. Unfortunately, I still have some links that still open a new window, quite a few actually. Heck, some links still open Safari, not often, but it does happen.:confused:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handycam
Uh, then what's your question? You seem to have it solved.
Oh god.

May I suggest you read before posting? I'm assuming you are trying to be helpful, but rushing back to the forums every time I get a reply only to find unhelpful answers is maddening.

FWIW, links with target=_blank will not open in a new tab and will instead open in new window, no matter your preferences. This is a (very) well documented issue that OmniGroup is aware of.

To forum member. Short answer - you can't do what you want.

If you have a middle button (mouse wheel or whatever) you can click this to open links in a background tab. Not exactly what you're looking for but it may be helpful.