The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Possible Bug, can someone please confirm - Effort-Duration-Change of days per day Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Ok here is the situation.

Create an activity with a effort of 8h.
Assign it to someone with a work schedule of:Mon 9am - 3pm, and Thur 9am - 12pm.

Make sure your project hours per day is set 8h.

The durations of the activity should now be 6d 3h.

Now change your project hours of work per day to say 24h or 1h.

The duration in the WBS changing according to the Project hours per day. But the Gantt is unaffected. Start and end dates are also unaffected. BUT the Duration seems to be linked with the Project hours per day even when it should not be because of custom work schedules.

Anyone try this?

The duration changes because of the irregular work week. If you look at your chart as you drag that 8h task across the week, you'll see the duration column continually changing. It is showing you how many days of the week will be covered by the bar for that task, and that number is clearly going to increase as the bar covers more days that resource isn't active.

When you change the value that says "this is how many hours are in a work day" all you are doing is changing the divisor in the calculation that converts small units into larger ones for purposes of display. As you noticed, the Gantt chart doesn't change (except if you are showing a textual duration figure next to a task). It doesn't have anything to do with the actual project work schedule, either the general one or the week-specific one or for any given resource's schedule. It's just a way to let you deal in more convenient units.

Right i understand why the duration was changing. My confusion is why the gantt chart was not updating to represent the change.

Can you explain your second paragraph again. It is very confusing.

Thanks

Hmm, read this and see if it is made any clearer!

Ok but that does not explain by the Gantt does not update. The gantt shows the duration. So shouldnt the Gantt and the Duration column be equal to each other? Meaning that if i change the project hours of of a day, the duration changes in the WBS. But the Gantt does not change. unless i am spacing out on something here, and everything i know about WBS and PMOK and PMI, the duration column and the Gantt bar length should show the same information. ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenrussett View Post
Ok but that does not explain by the Gantt does not update. The gantt shows the duration. So shouldnt the Gantt and the Duration column be equal to each other? Meaning that if i change the project hours of of a day, the duration changes in the WBS. But the Gantt does not change. unless i am spacing out on something here, and everything i know about WBS and PMOK and PMI, the duration column and the Gantt bar length should show the same information. ???
Maybe the reason it makes sense to me is that I don't know what the acronyms mean :-)

Okay, let's try it a different way. The bar OmniPlan draws on the Gantt chart goes from the start of the task to the end of the task, regardless of what is between them. Weekends, holidays, days off, it doesn't matter. If you have assigned an 8 hour task to someone who works 2 hours per day, the bar is probably going to span at least 4 days on the Gantt chart. Similarly, if you assign that 8 hour task to someone who works 9-3 on Monday and 9-noon on Thursday, it is always going to cover at least 4 days, because it will span either Thursday to Monday or Monday to Thursday unless it has to go into an additional week (because it couldn't start until 2 PM on Monday, for example, in which case it would occupy 1 hour Monday, 3 hours on Thursday, and the 1st 4 hours of the next Monday, thus spanning no fewer than 8 days). OmniPlan does not draw a chain of sausage links only on the days the resource actually works.

Suppose you worked for your town government as an OmniPlan consultant 2 hours on each Monday and Wednesday. Suppose also that to save costs your town government switched from working 9-5 M-F (5 x 8 hour days) to 8-6 M-Th (4 x 10 hour days). The value you would enter in the town's OmniPlan documents for project hours per day would change from 8 to 10, but a Gantt chart showing tasks assigned to you would not change, agreed?

An addition to my previous post: when I say the task will span so many days, i mean so many project working days. If the project work schedule also is only M 9-3 and Th 9-12, then the 8 hour task starting Monday 9am will only span 2 days in the chart unless you've selected the option to show off hours (View->Gantt chart->Show Off-hours)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Maybe the reason it makes sense to me is that I don't know what the acronyms mean :-)

Okay, let's try it a different way. The bar OmniPlan draws on the Gantt chart goes from the start of the task to the end of the task, regardless of what is between them. Weekends, holidays, days off, it doesn't matter. If you have assigned an 8 hour task to someone who works 2 hours per day, the bar is probably going to span at least 4 days on the Gantt chart. Similarly, if you assign that 8 hour task to someone who works 9-3 on Monday and 9-noon on Thursday, it is always going to cover at least 4 days, because it will span either Thursday to Monday or Monday to Thursday unless it has to go into an additional week (because it couldn't start until 2 PM on Monday, for example, in which case it would occupy 1 hour Monday, 3 hours on Thursday, and the 1st 4 hours of the next Monday, thus spanning no fewer than 8 days). OmniPlan does not draw a chain of sausage links only on the days the resource actually works.

Suppose you worked for your town government as an OmniPlan consultant 2 hours on each Monday and Wednesday. Suppose also that to save costs your town government switched from working 9-5 M-F (5 x 8 hour days) to 8-6 M-Th (4 x 10 hour days). The value you would enter in the town's OmniPlan documents for project hours per day would change from 8 to 10, but a Gantt chart showing tasks assigned to you would not change, agreed?
Right so the Gantt bar should span over the 4 days in your first example. What i am saying is that when you change the Hours of a day in the Project settings, and have custom work days, the Durations Column updates with the new settings for the project hours per day but the Gantt bar does not.

Did you follow the steps in the first post? Give it a try and let me know what happens. What i am saying is that i think there is a bug that has the duration column linked with the hours per day field in the project settings but the gantt bar does not update if you change the hours per day setting when the assigned human resource has a custom work schedule. Just give the steps in the first post a try.

PS. WBS stands for work breakdown structure. The 1, 1.1, 1.1. etc is called a WBS.

You can set the normal working days to 9-830pm sun-sat