The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Duplicate recurring Actions appearing Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I would be interested to hear if anyone is experiencing the issue of recurring tasks being duplicated?

So for example I have a recurring weekly task to attend Boot Camp. What I find is that I will have the same task (with the same end date) duplicated.

Usually I delete the surplus task, but it is minor annoyance.

This is most frequently due to marking the task complete on both the mobile device and the desktop. The next occurrence of the task is generated on both, and a sync merges the tasks. I personally have never seen a recurring task duplicate other than because of this.

Thanks Greg. I thought it may be a syncing problem of that kind. Chances are I action some tasks on the train commute into the office but it doesn't automatically sync over. It's only when I'm in the office when I get a decent connection that task get synced

Your parent action group/project isn't marked as recurring is it? If the parent and children are both recurring, you'll get duplicates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swashbuckler View Post
Thanks Greg. I thought it may be a syncing problem of that kind. Chances are I action some tasks on the train commute into the office but it doesn't automatically sync over. It's only when I'm in the office when I get a decent connection that task get synced
Be sure to sync the mobile gadget once you have connectivity, before working on the desktop, and this should go away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Be sure to sync the mobile gadget once you have connectivity, before working on the desktop, and this should go away.
I think that's the answer. I'll make sure I sync my mobile OF before logging into my office OF.

Bearing in mind I'm syncing between 3 devices (Work, Home, and iPhone) this was a small annoyance at best.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by swashbuckler View Post
I think that's the answer. I'll make sure I sync my mobile OF before logging into my office OF.

Bearing in mind I'm syncing between 3 devices (Work, Home, and iPhone) this was a small annoyance at best.

Thanks
And you can skip the sync when switching between devices so long as you are careful not to work in the same areas (so no chance of ticking off or changing the same item twice). For example, if you make a practice of never checking off items related to home or the gym on the work desktop, your recurring actions to exercise and take out the recycling won't be duplicated even if you do forget to sync the mobile OF before plunging in on the day's work-related matters. Of course, if you also touched some work-related tasks on the mobile, you would want to make sure to sync devices both before switching.

The other way that tasks can be duplicated is if you mark them complete (which will create the new future task), change your mind and uncheck the task (doesn't remove the future task), then mark it complete gain which creates another future task.

This used to happen to me a lot. I'm indecisive.

I sent a bug report to Omni about this and they replied "Don't do by clicking, use undo instead"! Which is fine as long as you don't do anything else in the interim.
(A guy goes to his doctor and says "Doctor, it hurts when I do this" to which the doctor replied, "Stop doing it then")

I took their advice but it still catches me out every now and then.

Here is a lengthy discussion about this:

http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=12093