The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

What's the best replacement for calendar syncing? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Sorry, I must have been feeling a bit Grumpy when I wrote that. :)

Anyway, to be honest I've only been using Omni products since last Summer but one thing that's crystal clear is that OmniGroup is not one of those companies that releases a quick stream of minor fixes and updates for their products. Releases are few and far between for them. I don't know if it's because they're understaffed, overstreched, or just plain slow. Maybe they have a very long regression test cycle? Or perhaps they like to put a lot of time into the research and design aspect? Whatever the reason, it seems clear that changes will come in their own sweet time and OmniGroup is not in the habit of pre-announcing their intentions or timelines. It's unfortunate but understandable.

Last edited by GrumpyDave; 2011-03-09 at 08:12 AM..

No probs, I was just trying to find out if they were inclining towards or against any particular kind of solution. I love Omnifocus, but I'm finding it a complete pain to try to gauge if I'm being over optimistic with what I'm trying to get done in any one week.

Having to try to compare the calendar with my projects and time available etc, it's a bit of a mare. I loved being able to just sync it all up through mobileme and adjust the task pane to only show tasks scheduled for the timeframe shown. It was really helpful.

I'd rather let people know sooner rather than later if a schedule will have to slip, but if I do that and then get it done in time, I look stupid, so it's a balancing act. Personally I think all my problems would be solved if I could just have one week with no phone calls and no meetings :)

Do you typically put duration estimates on your tasks, and if so, are they generally accurate? There's a script floating around that sums up the estimates of the selected tasks. If you have an estimate of how much time you have available for the next <insert your favorite measure here>, you could select the tasks that fall due in that same interval, run the script, and see if there's a problem. Less fiddling around than trying to schedule everything on the calendar, and less time wasted rescheduling everything when it doesn't work out the way you planned (which seems to be DA's beef with making lists of what you are going to do today).

Quote:
Originally Posted by marisa8184 View Post
I love Omnifocus, but I'm finding it a complete pain to try to gauge if I'm being over optimistic with what I'm trying to get done in any one week.

Having to try to compare the calendar with my projects and time available etc, it's a bit of a mare. I loved being able to just sync it all up through mobileme and adjust the task pane to only show tasks scheduled for the timeframe shown. It was really helpful.
I wonder how hard it would be to write up a script that would take a timeframe and then make a table of the meetings and the due tasks in a particular week.

I have to say that I'm surprised that is helpful information, though. In my experience, the further out I am looking the less I know about what will actually be due at the particular time.

I think I remember seeing some note on the forums that they were planning on bringing the ipad version's forecast view to the mac. I'm sure, like anything, it's something that takes time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marisa8184 View Post
I'd rather let people know sooner rather than later if a schedule will have to slip, but if I do that and then get it done in time, I look stupid, so it's a balancing act.
Why would that make you look stupid? To me that would make you look like a hard worker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
Why would that make you look stupid? To me that would make you look like a hard worker.
One example is when the organization spends a bunch of money that it didn't have to because you thought you weren't going to get your part done in time. While that may be better than what happens if you don't get it done in time and didn't raise the warning, it still tends to make you look like someone who has trouble managing their work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
One example is when the organization spends a bunch of money that it didn't have to because you thought you weren't going to get your part done in time. While that may be better than what happens if you don't get it done in time and didn't raise the warning, it still tends to make you look like someone who has trouble managing their work.
Yes, ok, I guess it might depend on your customers or colleagues.

Would love to share tasks with other people -- especially sharing lists and misc items with my wife!!

In a discussion with Ken this morning, we realized that we hadn't mentioned to folks that the feature still works just fine as it did in the past. (With local calendars.)

Switching to the MobileMe servers converts all your existing calendars to an incompatible format, but you can still use iCal to make a new local one (File -> New Calendar -> On My Mac) and sync OmniFocus with that just as you have in the past. Sorry we didn't mention that earlier!

(We still have a feature request open for adding CalDAV support in a future version, of course.)

I am currently using OmniFocus for Mac, iPhone and iPad for tasks, and BusyCal on Mac for calendar (+iCal to be able to subscribe to public calendars).

On iPhone and iPad I use Pocket Informant for calendar.

What I am missing is a proper way to have access to my OmniFocus data through my calendars, be it on my Mac, my iPhone or my iPad.

Will OmniGroup develop a sync option using Apple's new MobileMe CalDAV solution with XML lists for tasks, or is it possible to use the existing WebDAV solution in that way?

Last edited by perronne; 2011-04-20 at 03:19 AM..

Merging your post with an existing thread that contains the info you're looking for, but wanted to post here so the forum software notified you about what I was doing. :-)