The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Feature Requests
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Custom Referer for bookmarks? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
How about allowing for a custom Referer header on bookmarked pages? There are certain sites that behave differently if I click through to them from my college's portal than if I access them directly. I'd like to skip the intermediate step of going to the portal by forcing the Referer.

For that matter, I've been hoping for years that a browser would let me set a bookmark on a POST page, so when I select the bookmark the data (stored with the bookmark) would be POSTed to the location.

Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbklein
For that matter, I've been hoping for years that a browser would let me set a bookmark on a POST page, so when I select the bookmark the data (stored with the bookmark) would be POSTed to the location.
I, too, have always wanted that. Unfortunately, I think it could turn into a support nightmare for the Omni folks. Imagine some naive user bookmarking a purchase confirmation page to save the number, then reloading it later, only to have a poorly coded server re-accept the purchase and double-charge the user--I bet that would quickly lead to OW being blocked by some sites (as a misguided way to "fix" the problem). I can see all sorts of things like this happening.

I suppose, though, that Omni could partially avoid the problem by making it an esoteric option. Even the power users that OW appeals to, however, aren't generally web developers and won't always understand why the feature does what it does, so there could still be a wee bit of additional support load.

OTOH, quite often when post data is involved, so is session data. And most of the time, that session data would have long since expired when you next follow the bookmark. Thus, you'd be rejected, anyway.

So I love the idea, and have wanted it since my days of using Lynx on VMS, but I just don't see it being as useful as it seems. Plus, it might increase the support load.

I tend to use workspaces more than bookmarks... so perhaps if you have some key sites where this is an issue and you frequent them, you could setup a workspace. I know this functionality has changed through the SP's, however.