The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Is it stable enough to jump ship from Kinkless? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi,
Been using Kinkless and can't wait to move to OmniFocus. I'm getting the alpha builds, but havent had enough time to dig deep to test for stability, etc.

Wondering if anyone out there has been using OmniFocus for their "real" work yet. Is it stable enough? I can live without the full feature set, just don't want my data going up in a ball of smoke.

How about kGTD to OmniFocus importing? Everything come thru?

thanks...
Matthew

The main problem I ran into when I attempted to use it "for real" was speed. After I got about 40 items or so, every action slowed down to a crawl. Now that both OmniObjectMeter and transaction logging are off, I'm going to give it another spin at high capacity work and see how it goes.

The logging and metering make a huge difference to usability. With one or both of these on it is a labour of love to continue testing it, but with them off OmniFocus is a practical proposition.

As to whether OF is stable enough for regular use, I can only speak from experience and say that the problems and bugs I've had are more to do with functionality than with anything which threatens my data (I did have one kernel panic but I doubt it had anything to do with OF). Looking back over the last few days I can see that I have tipped over from testing OmniFocus to actually using it.

As far as stability is concerned - OF is doing fine. I haven't had a crash in well over a week. (and I'm one of those junkies that installs pretty much every new build)

With the instrumentation turned off, I can safely say that I've moved over to it entirely. I will admit, though, that I've got OF backing up twice a day, just in case. But other than that, the only thing lacking are the rest of the features. ;-)

YMMV

Not if you use recurring and renewing tasks. This is the feature that is holding me back for now.

BZ

Ditto that. But I am copying everything non-recurring from my current system in Todoist, and finding the process to be *very* nice so far; the application is very responsive and easy to use. The brand new paste -> actions feature is superb. But as well as BZ, I will not be using it as my primary system until recurrance is built-in.

My experience with stability concurs with the rest. I've seen a number of exceptions regarding nil values thrown, but none of them actually harm any data. Nevertheless, I have the backup features set to the most paranoid.

As far as living in OF, I think it's quite doable at the moment. I'll be blunt - I think it's better than Kinkless already. I liked the idea of Kinkless, and really gave it an honest try, but I had buckets of problems trying to keep the file synced between my work and home computers, and if I couldn't do that, it wasn't worth the effort. Just keeping OF's backups on my USB key and importing every morning and evening is a better experience.

It doesn't have as many features as Kinkless (yet) but I can keep it synced with minimal effort.