The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contexts Missing In Action Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
So if I want to see all my contexts grouped by context, I simply click the "Contexts" icon in the window header.

A nice list of all my contexts appears.

Except not all my Contexts are listed under the appropriate 'CONTEXT' section. And I'm going crazy and trying to figure out why....?

Under the context "Waiting" I have one item from the project titled "Single Action Items" listed "Get SAT phone repaired". But there are plenty of other tasks that I have assigned the "Waiting" context. Yet, they don't show up in this list.

But if I switch to Project view and click on the project "Financial Mgmt" I have several tasks assigned Waiting and they appear in this list:

- get deposit refund on carnet
- Mediate billing dispute with AT&T

etc....

Seems that if I quickly want to view those tasks I'm waiting for "external" action that I should see them when I click on "Contexts" and scroll down to "Waiting"... but oddly it's not working.

I don't know what other areas OF is seemingly deciding what to show me at its whim when reviewing contexts.

Granted I'm new at this and trying to get OF to work with me.. not against me.

OF doesn't decide "at its whim" what to display, but it has very powerful controls for filtering what actions are displayed. It can take a while to understand all the ins-and-outs of how these work.

My guess is that in Project Mode you are showing Remaining actions, but in Context Mode you are showing either Next Actions or Available Actions. At the most basic level, the difference is that only the first action in a sequential project is Available, while all actions in a parallel project are Available. (It gets more complicated once you start nesting parallel and sequence groups of actions inside projects.)

You can turn on the View Bar to verify which sorts of actions are begin shown; choose View --> Show View Bar. The Action Filter lozenge in the middle of the view bar controls which actions are shown.

If I'm guessing incorrectly, please come back with more information. Screen shots of your View Bar settings are very helpful. (Cmd-Shift-4 will activate screen capture.)

Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
OF doesn't decide "at its whim" what to display, but it has very powerful controls for filtering what actions are displayed. It can take a while to understand all the ins-and-outs of how these work.
That may be, but it seems overly complicated. Though as I leverage OF's capabilities in the future, I imagine these capabilities will become more relevant.

Quote:
My guess is that in Project Mode you are showing Remaining actions, but in Context Mode you are showing either Next Actions or Available Actions.
When I first read this I thought "yeah, that's got to be it!" but opening OF and checking, I was disappointed. I was indeed showing all remaining actions [tasks].

Quote:
At the most basic level, the difference is that only the first action in a sequential project is Available, while all actions in a parallel project are Available. (It gets more complicated once you start nesting parallel and sequence groups of actions inside projects.)
Though you can see in the attached screen shots, I don't have sequential and parallel actions [tasks] mixed. But I do have some actions [tasks] that have neither par/seq assigned.

So why can't I see those actions in Context view? Strange.

Quote:
You can turn on the View Bar to verify which sorts of actions are begin shown; choose View --> Show View Bar. The Action Filter lozenge in the middle of the view bar controls which actions are shown.

If I'm guessing incorrectly, please come back with more information. Screen shots of your View Bar settings are very helpful. (Cmd-Shift-4 will activate screen capture.)
Seems there's more to the picture here, so i'm attaching those "pictures" and maybe someone can shed light on what's going on.

thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OF PROJECT.jpg
Views:	512
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	807   Click image for larger version

Name:	OF-contexts.jpg
Views:	532
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	808  

It is because your Finance Management project is on-hold. Actions inside an on-hold project (or a dropped or pending project) are unable to be viewed in Context mode since OF assumes that those actions are unavailable for action at this time. If you set your Finance Management project to Active, you will see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyleigh View Post
It is because your Finance Management project is on-hold. Actions inside an on-hold project (or a dropped or pending project) are unable to be viewed in Context mode since OF assumes that those actions are unavailable for action at this time. If you set your Finance Management project to Active, you will see it.
Okay. You got it! But I have no idea how that project got put on hold. And there's nothing that says on-hold that I can find, save the little "pause" button that I did notice on the finance project...

weird... I haven't even used Dropped, On Hold etc. and have no idea where the "on hold" could be applied other than through a contextual menu... and I can't imagine that I accidentally would've control clicked a project and applied "on hold" but alas, it was "on hold" and changing that DID bring back my actions

THANK YOU!!!

On-hold can be applied in the inspector, as well as through a command-click. You must have accidently put it on-hold. I suggest that you use the view bar in the project mode and go through the "Show projects" lozenge to see if you accidently put other projects on-hold (or dropped or whatever).