The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > Community > Omni Lounge
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Why Vote? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
So picture this: you are in Omni's conference room with the rest of the OmniFocus product team, and the topic of the meeting is to decide a rough outline of what is going to be in OmniFocus 3. One team member summarizes the top 10 feature requests. There is a request for X, which has 150 votes. There is a request for Y, which has 250 votes, even though all of the votes are more recent than many of the votes for X, because Y relates to a feature that wasn't even in the product when some of the requests for X arrived. You've only got resources to do X OR Y, not both. Everyone agrees that both are things that would improve the product comparably. Why wouldn't you do the one that more people have felt strongly enough about to request, even if the other one had been around longer? What does it matter that something might have been the top request at some point in the past, if it is no longer?
So, old-timer feature requests U, V & W all have 100 votes each. They are small but significant to those who want them. Those three combined will take up the same programming time as feature Y.

Which gets done? U, V & W ... or Y?

Good question. If there was some sort of connecting theme, I would probably go with the collection of older items. If not, I'd probably lean toward the single feature. For a close call like that, I would want to know what the current rate of change is for both counts, in order to "skate to where the puck will be" — if they are close now, but one choice is only getting a trickle of requests and the other has a steady stream of them, by the time the software is done the one getting the stream is likely to be well ahead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
You don't need passwords with people you trust (asking them to not look at your personal stuff should be sufficient), so that leaves nosy people you don't trust but are nonetheless willing to lend your iPad.
Somethings are private and some people are snoopy. Even if I trust the people I lend my iPhone I don't want to other people see my GTD task without my consent. And to the people I really trust and have no secrets I share the password (iPhone Lock code, PIN, etc).
I definitely would like to see a simple password protection on OmniFocus for iPhone like the ones in Bento our MoneyWell wish I use daily on my iPhone.