The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

How do I Draw Lines on Figures? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Like many others, I am new to Omnigraffle. My background is with Visio (which is highly intuitive and very easy to use). Since there is no Visio equivalent for the Mac, I have turned to Omnigraffle. What I want to do is to draw a 3 dimensional cube with levels on it indicating a 3x3x5 framework. I have been to add a front square and a back square. Now, how do I draw lines linking the two squares and how do I draw the lines within each square? I have been frustrated by this product and any help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA.

Would the Line tool be too obvious an answer? In the default toolbar, it is the icon directly over the word Tools, and looks like an arch with an arrowhead on the right end. You'll probably want to hold down the option key while drawing your lines to prevent them from attempting to connect to spots unlikely to be what you want for this particular application.

Have you gone through the video tutorial on the OmniGraffle product page? I think OmniGraffle is pretty intuitive, but I don't have the handicap of coming from another tool (Visio) which has its own style of operation to which I am accustomed...

Quote:
My background is with Visio (which is highly intuitive and very easy to use). Since there is no Visio equivalent for the Mac, I have turned to Omnigraffle.
Um, excuse me, but I know both really well, and Visio is not what human beings mean when they say "intuitive". Just because MS says that grass is purple does not make it so.

So you have a Mac. Welcome to a new universe of "intuitive".

To be reasonably effective, and draw diagrams in less than one third of the time it takes in Visio, you need to understand a bit about what Apple think "intuitive" means. Then it will be easy to use OG. Because it is one of the most Apple Standard-compliant apps available. If you know your way around the Mac, and you give up your ideas about how to do a Visio function in OG, and just learn a little bit about OG, you will be a very happy camper. Trust me, I am blissfully happy camper, and I cringe at having to do something in Visio.

Some people do not like to be told, but th ebiggest obstacle to the learning process is the confidence that you already know the subject.

Learn each of the tools and inspectors, they are very powerful. And they have levels of power.

Then there is the next unvierse, of drawings you can create in OG, that you cannot even dream of in Visio. Like this, for one, and I am not an artist, ok ?

Example Technical Drawing

That's not meant for reading, just for oohing and aahing. Do click the blue glass buttons.