The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniOutliner + Dropbox (via dropdav.com) Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I desperately was looking for a reasonable sync solution between my iPhone/iPad and desktop.

I found dropdav.com - WebDAV ,,adapter'' for Dropbox so you can use download/upload via WebDav functionality directly from iPad OO. Paid $5, SSL etc, so secure enough. I think for a temporary solution it might be OK, until OmniGroup do something with that.

On the desktop I edit my .oo3 files directly from location which is sync with Dropbox (or linked). Hence at least from one side the syncronisation is done automatically and I don't have to remember about it.

For about $5 less per month, you can use the Omni Sync Server. Just mount the volume from the Finder via the Go->Connect to Server... command, or once you've mounted it, drag it into the list of items to be opened at login in the Accounts panel of the System Preferences. Whether you use Dropbox via DropDAV or the OSS, you still need to remember to import the documents into the iPad app if you last edited them off-device, and export them back to the server before attempting to use them elsewhere.

True, but there's one ,,hook'' in that.

Mounted WebDAV is very slow in comparison to local HDD and working on mounted WebDAV is not most confortable solution, IMO. So you have to make local copy of the document. I don't want to make 3rd instance of the file - one local, one in OSS and one in iPad. With Dropbox I can avoid this as my local folder with OO files is synced in backgroud - and later on I can manually sync in on iPad.

I'm always online on all devices but I don't always have access to my desktop. So... it's manageable, at least to me ;)

I mean: you save half an effort.

You edited a file on iPad (everything was synced before), now you have to:
1. iPad: upload it to webdav
2. Mac: mount your webdav folder
3. Mac: make local copy of file
... Mac: editing ...
4. Mac: upload to webdav (you have to remember this, you never know when you will need your file on iPad)
... Mac: editing (after few days) ...
5. Mac: upload to webdav (again, you never know when you'll need it)
6. iPad: download file from WebDav

With DropBox/DavDrop you don't have steps 2,3,4,5 - you simply edit your file from your HDD.

Much simplier to me.

I did tell you how to have that WebDAV volume auto-mount so it is always ready. As for the speed, that's going to depend on your network connection and where you are relative to the site on the other end. If your connection is good, the need to copy the files to your local disk goes away, which eliminates a few more of your steps. Frankly, even if it takes a few seconds longer, that's dwarfed by the time I'm going to spend working in the file in most cases. Your mileage may vary.

I lost interest in DropDAV when they rolled out a pricing model that was a percentage of what I pay Dropbox. I see that they've apparently retreated from that, but for me, there just isn't enough additional value to have another set of sticky fingers in my wallet each month. On the other hand, if paying the $5 caused the data to be magically synced onto my iPads, my kid would have to start hiding his piggy bank :)

The $5 is a pain, indeed. I will try again with the mounted WebDAV - I had an impression that it is terribly slow, this is why I looked for another solution.

Anyway - thanks for the discussion ;-)