The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

$40? Seriously? [OmniFocus for iPad Pricing Feedback] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnz View Post

Edit: I just learnt that there apparently should be an item "Perspective" in the OF sidebar. But I don't have it. This may make my criticism superfluos (except for the sluggish and huge UI), but I still don't know how to get this sidebar item...
Here's a thought: do you have some perspectives defined on the Mac, and if so, are they all project-based? The iOS OmniFocus apps only support context-based perspectives at the moment. I wonder if perhaps seeing that there are perspectives synced over, but none of the right type, might cause the code to not show the perspectives sidebar entry at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
I'm reminded of the old complaint:

"the food is terrible and the portions are too small" :)

Why do you want things smaller if there is already too much on the screen?
I am primarily referring to those "no next actions" projects that are listed even tough they don't add any value. They occupy so much space that you have to scroll to get to the relevant information. Also, the whole nested structure is absolutely unnecessary. I just want to see my tasks and not how they are nested. A plain list with a project breadcrumb would have been perfectly sufficient.

Quote:
Here's a thought: do you have some perspectives defined on the Mac, and if so, are they all project-based? The iOS OmniFocus apps only support context-based perspectives at the moment. I wonder if perhaps seeing that there are perspectives synced over, but none of the right type, might cause the code to not show the perspectives sidebar entry at all.
Can't say at the moment. My Mac is at home. You must be able to define perspectives on the device for a $40 app. Requiring the user to buy another $80 Mac version in order to make the app actually usable is ridiculous.

Quote:
Come on. These defensive 'don't critize Omni' phrases are driving me mad in this thread.
OK, I'm on your side of the fence, bnz! Omni have all the pieces, they just don't seem to have an overall picture, so they appear unable to do the jigsaw.

At the prices Omni charge (heroically ignoring Mr. Job's advice to "price competitively, go for volume"), they should have products that slay the opposition. I'm sorry, IMHO, they don't even come close. The only reason we stick with OmniFocus is the rock-solid sync. If another software house brings out a competitive product offering that, along with a consistent GUI, is cross-platform, feature rich, and - oh, cream! - has a multi-user capability, we'd be off like a shot.

I've seen major software houses (let's be honest, Omni is a minor player) obliterated overnight by newcomers to the game. You only have to look at the fate of some of their previous offerings, Omni- Web, Dazzle, Dictionary, Sweeper et al, to realise they need to focus and get a grip!

Quote:
Can't say at the moment. My Mac is at home. You must be able to define perspectives on the device for a $40 app. Requiring the user to buy another $80 Mac version in order to make the app actually usable is ridiculous.
I'm confident that at some point in the future you will be able to do so. Send in your vote with Contact Omni so that they can accurately judge how important this feature is to the user populace. Expecting every possible feature from an app that costs twice as much, in the 1.0 revision, no less, is a bit unrealistic.

Quote:
I'm confident that at some point in the future you will be able to do so. Send in your vote with Contact Omni so that they can accurately judge how important this feature is to the user populace. Expecting every possible feature from an app that costs twice as much, in the 1.0 revision, no less, is a bit unrealistic.
Right. But I expect every feature in the 1.0 that makes the app usable and not crippled by a coupled necessity to another $80 app making it a total of $120 (without the iPhone app). I don't think they state anywhere that the featureset is crippled without Omnifocus for Mac. You could say that this is dishonest. The iTunes text says "Use OmniFocus for iPad on its own, or sync with...". On its own, it is crippled.

It's not crippled. Crippled implies it's artificially limited in order to upsell you. I would wager that the limit was based on development time and on getting a good user experience on a new platform.

Quote:
Right. But I expect every feature in the 1.0 that makes the app usable and not crippled by a coupled necessity to another $80 app making it a total of $120 (without the iPhone app). I don't think they state anywhere that the featureset is crippled without Omnifocus for Mac. You could say that this is dishonest. The iTunes text says "Use OmniFocus for iPad on its own, or sync with...". On its own, it is crippled.
I find it hard to reconcile it being crippled by the lack of perspective editing when perspectives are still experimental on the iPhone app! Perspectives are certainly a powerful feature, but the app is very functional without them. However, if you feel you have been misled into purchasing, contact Omni and they'll refund your money if you ask in the first 30 days.

Quote:
I find it hard to reconcile it being crippled by the lack of perspective editing when perspectives are still experimental on the iPhone app!
Oh c'mon, whpalmer4, according to Omni, Landscape mode is still an experimental feature.... !

Quote:
I find it hard to reconcile it being crippled by the lack of perspective editing when perspectives are still experimental on the iPhone app! Perspectives are certainly a powerful feature, but the app is very functional without them. However, if you feel you have been misled into purchasing, contact Omni and they'll refund your money if you ask in the first 30 days.
Yes, I don't think the program is "crippled" in any way. Compare to the competition, I think OF for iPad offers more features than others. For instance, in one program, you can't even create a simple repeating task in their iPad version.

I would suggest folks who are unhappy, apply for a refund. The process isn't that difficult - just send Omni an email.