The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

How do local notifications work in OF 1.7? [Similar to Push alerts] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Are the local notifications at all configurable? Advance alarm time setting, and perhaps most important, audible and/or vibrate alarm function? All I am seeing is an on-screen pop-up, which doesn't help me if the phone is not out and in my view at the time of the alarm. Also, I assume that there are no alarms for start times?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Jones View Post
Are the local notifications at all configurable? Advance alarm time setting, and perhaps most important, audible and/or vibrate alarm function? All I am seeing is an on-screen pop-up, which doesn't help me if the phone is not out and in my view at the time of the alarm. Also, I assume that there are no alarms for start times?
Can I assume that these are also only available on iPhone 3GS and above, not on 3G with iOS4? I'm not seeing any local notification settings at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT View Post
Can I assume that these are also only available on iPhone 3GS and above, not on 3G with iOS4? I'm not seeing any local notification settings at all.
I'm not seeing any settings on a 3G either, which is why I ask. I thought perhaps the settings were in the iPhone's Settings app, Notifications, but OmniFocus does not appear in the list.

How do the notifications work now in OF 1.7? I had been syncing to iCal and getting alerts that way. With iOS 4 and OF 1.7, should I turn off calendar syncing to avoid duplicate alerts?

I remember reading that the calendar alerts (am I talking about the right alerts?) were some sort of workaround until iOS 4 came out with its ability to handle local notifications.

I'm just curious about best practices here...!

Just to piggyback that question:

Should OF ask me if it wants to give me notifications or do these internal alerts work differently?

You could turn off the calendar notifications, but it's worth pointing out that if you rely on those (currently) on the desktop, it will no longer continue updating.

Also, local notifications don't currently have the ability to produce a sound or vibration — calendar notifications still do.

Is there a way to disable these notifications or change the time before the due date the notification occurs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by the doug View Post
How do the notifications work now in OF 1.7? I had been syncing to iCal and getting alerts that way. With iOS 4 and OF 1.7, should I turn off calendar syncing to avoid duplicate alerts?

I remember reading that the calendar alerts (am I talking about the right alerts?) were some sort of workaround until iOS 4 came out with its ability to handle local notifications.

I'm just curious about best practices here...!
My general advice is to unsubscribe from the calendar on your iOS 4 devices so you won't get duplicate alerts from your local notifications. But you might want to keep publishing the calendar (even if your iOS 4 devices no longer use it) if you're using that calendar on other devices (such as your Mac or iPad).

And, as Derek points out, the local due alerts in 1.7 don't make any sounds at the moment. If you'd like sounds with your alerts, please send email to omnifocus@omnigroup.com and we'll add your vote to the feature request.

I've sent my email feedback on this, and I'll add a thought or two here. My initial thoughts are that local alerts in 1.7 are a disappointment and a regression in functionality. Not only do they not alert me when the phone is off (not a trusted system for reminders), but now I have duplicate alerts to click through as I've decided to keep calendar notifications on for the audible alarm.

I had hoped that with local notifications, we would see various options for alerts for start times, due times, audible and/or vibrate options, silent times for no audible alarms, etc. Hopefully the thinking behind the current implementation can be revisited in the future. If not, I wonder if an API could link OmniFocus to a third-part app such as Boxcar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Jones View Post
Not only do they not alert me when the phone is off (not a trusted system for reminders)
I must be missing out on something? How could anything on the phone alert you if it is off?
I'm actually personally not a fan of notifications from anything but my calendar, so my vote is to keep OF as feature-light as possible in this direction (with my apologies to everybody who'd like more alerts through OF)...