The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

How to sync IPHONE OF with toodledo Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Good-day

I try doing GTD in aplication OMNIFOCUS. I use only her IPHONE version, because we have desktops on WINDOWS. I need advise with a few of problems.

1) How can I synchronization IPHONE version OMNIFOCUS with some web service? The best with TOOLEDO. For MAC version existing synchronizing utility with TOOLEDO, so it should go on principle .
2) If IPHONE version OMNIFOCUS doesnīt go syncronization with TOOLEDO so how can I synchronizing or back up IPHONE Omnifocus with PC
3) How do you solve in Omnifocus IPHONE version archivation finish impositions. Their erasure is silly and it is at variance with GTD, where is very important archive.
Please execuse my English.

OmniFocus does not (currently) sync with anything but the desktop client.
Are you aware Toodledo has a iPhone application you can get from the App Store? I nearly went with it myself because I'm a Windows user, but didn't feel the UI was good enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuny View Post
1) How can I synchronization IPHONE version OMNIFOCUS with some web service? The best with TOOLEDO. For MAC version existing synchronizing utility with TOOLEDO, so it should go on principle.
We are very sorry, but there is no way to do this at the moment. We are thinking about ways to help with this in the future, though.

Quote:
2) If IPHONE version OMNIFOCUS doesnīt go syncronization with TOOLEDO so how can I synchronizing or back up IPHONE Omnifocus with PC
When your iPhone is plugged into iTunes, it makes a backup of all the applications and their data. Apple has some information posted here:
Backing up, updating, and restoring your iPhone and iPod touch software

(Hopefully, there is a similar support article in your native language as well.)

Quote:
3) How do you solve in Omnifocus IPHONE version archivation finish impositions. Their erasure is silly and it is at variance with GTD, where is very important archive.
It sounds like you're encountering what we believe to be a bug in the iPhone OS and/or upgrade process. Unfortunately, this is not something we can fix ourselves. There's an article posted about the problem here.

Quote:
Please excuse my English.
No need to apologize! You're doing far better than I do when I travel overseas. :-)

For jjlucsy

aplication TOODLEDO for IPHONE from AppStoru certainly I know, but my original question was about usage of web service TOODLEDO as way for set in PC with big keyboard impositions, which be transferred to iphone version Omnifocus. Widely I canīt compare in terms of functions TOODLEDO and OMNIFOCUS, but it can be any connecting way between word of PC and IPHONE for OMNIFOCUS aplication.

For Brian

in my first question I didnīt think in point 3 word for word back up of data, but any solve for storage of finish impositions, which will not uselessly inhibit program, but I can them always use as basis for new exercise.

Quote:
1) How can I synchronization IPHONE version OMNIFOCUS with some web service? The best with TOOLEDO. For MAC version existing synchronizing utility with TOOLEDO, so it should go on principle .
In your place I would do a little bit more research on using MobileMe Control Panel for Windows. I use MobileMe with Mac to sync to iPhone. iPhone OF has a sync option to MobileMe in preferences. MobileMe would probably be the easiest way to do some syncing between Windows and iPhone:
http://support.apple.com/downloads/M...el_for_Windows

On the Toodledo issue, this is much more complex and I'd say that your best chances are to do some more research on the ICS (iCal format) -- Toodledo can import and export ICS. Thunderbird/Lightning/Sunbird for Windows should be able to handle ICS files easily. There is a Outlook to iCal export utility available somewhere on Sourceforge and Outlook 2007 has built-in support for iCal format import/export ... which also basically opens to you some other routes via Google Calendars and maybe few others. Anyways, good luck !

Last edited by zts-it; 2009-02-26 at 11:29 PM..

BTW, I also use Toodledo and find their service very reliable and I also have Toodledo iPhone App and I use it to combine OF and Toodledo features. OF is probably the best GTD, project/task/subtask app. However, it's blatantly weak when using it for a typical scheduled event (appointments, etc.) that requires sorting by date/time -- I don't want to miss an appointment at 10:00 because OF doesn't sort it by time. So what I do, is:
- write down GTD stuff in OF
- write down timed events in Toodledo website
- sync OF and iCal
- sync iCal with Toodledoo to combine OF and Toodledo entries
- sort by date and filter *hide*

In the end I get something like the attached iPhone screenshot -- items starting with *@* are from OF and plain ones are from Toodledo. Then I can also edit times for those OF items. (Hopefully, one day OF will put these time options in both OF and OF iPhone, so I don't have to go through all this :) tho it takes maybe 5 minutes to do it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-3.jpg
Views:	1270
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	882  

Last edited by zts-it; 2009-02-27 at 12:07 AM..

I'm curious why you edit the omni focus due times ?
If the default is set for say 11pm wouldn't they all just appear below all your toodledo items anyway ? not criticizing just curious ; )

Quote:
Originally Posted by ext555 View Post
I'm curious why you edit the omni focus due times ?
If the default is set for say 11pm wouldn't they all just appear below all your toodledo items anyway ? not criticizing just curious ; )
For some reason once I sync OF with iCal tasks, the times from OF don't transfer (maybe I'm doing something wrong or it could be just the limitation of iCal task manager). Anyways, most of the time I can use iPhone OF directly, but sometimes when I have too many scheduled activities viewing something quickly sorted by due date and time comes really handy. Of course, if some future version of OF would include sorting by times and actually displays the time of an event/activity then that would eliminate the need for any secondary app.

I just posted this in the "extras" forum. This will take your selected OmniFocus action and cause it to turn into a Toodledo todo. From there you get the warnings via SMS on your cell phone and can use it in your toodledo app on the iphone or the appigo todo list app. It does not sync, but just creates a one way todo with warning.

http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=12624

J.

The Omnifocus for Iphone is the best. I don't know what I'll do without it.